1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas reserve on 2011hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by topdj, Mar 12, 2011.

1. topdj

topdj Senior Member

my gauge said i have 1/8 tank and a range of like 60 left, I filled it up and it only took 27 gallons. I'm guessing but these trucks must have a 6 or 7 gallon reserve
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Be lucky it did have gas left in the tank .
  3. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

My 05 does that too, when the range is at like 20MI i fill up and it only takes like 19-20 gallons, i have a 26 gallon tank
  4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

$98.88 to top it off. I gave the girl a 100 bill, didn't think they took them but she says now they do LOL
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Gas sure is cheap in your area!
  6. Squires

Squires Senior Member

You got that right
    Were at approx $1.18 per L or about $4.46/ gallon
    My parents are at $1.26 per L or about $4.77 per gallon

I can't remember the last time i saw prices under $1.00 / L

On a side note i drove almost 100km after the computer was telling me i was empty, when i did fill it it took more than the tank was suposed to hold....:jester:
  7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I think the computer calculates fuel left based on what it shows your mpg is. Usually it shows xx MPG and it is usually off. Better that you have more then less.
  8. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Are they putting a bigger tank in the 2011 club/crew cabs? I thought unless you had a reg cab (34 gal) you only got a 26 gal tank.
  9. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Every configuration box (long or short) gets a 36 gallon fuel tank on the 2011.
  10. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Might be a typo some GM docs showed my 07 ext having a 34 gal but I can't seem to be able to fill that top 1/4
  11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Even if he's using premium to fill it, thats pretty expensive gas. $3.66 is pretty high in my area...like you'll only find it in the crooked gas stations or the ones right next to the highway.

Filled my wife's Audi with 93 for $3.59/gal last night. Filled my truck on Thursday for $3.46/gal.

Its not the top 1/4 you can't fill, its the bottom 1/4 you're not burning.

Gas gauges have been like this for a long time...my 2000 is like that, low fuel light comes on with about 6-8 gallons still in the tank. My old 2002 Nissan Altima used to trip the fuel light with about that muhc in its 20 gallon tank, computer would flash 0 miles to empty with about 3 gallons in the tank...I could go a good 180-200 miles in that car AFTER the low fuel light came on. I think automakers did this because too many people were running their tanks dry, overheating their fuel pumps and burning them out.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  12. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

On the pre-2011 models, It's not the cab configuration that determines the tank size, it's the bed size. Short beds got the 26 gallon, while long beds got the 34 gallon tank.
  13. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Here is the Dodge reasoning for the early warning lights. Probably Chevys too. If you are pulling a trailer out in the desert and the nearest gas station is 50 miles away and the light comes on and you only have 3 gallons left. You will not make it. But if you have 6-7 gallons left you can make out of desert. Thats the reason why
  14. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

I believe the reserve is used to keep the fuel pump in gasoline so it doesnt overheat .