1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Jan 30, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

:realmad: :realmad:

Two days ago I saw the gas price at $1.56, yesterday it rises to $1.59, this morning the price tweaked up to $1.61, now this afternoon I saw it jumped way up to $1.69 a gallon of regular. THAT'S 13 CENTS INCREASE IN TWO DAYS! What the hell is going on? Two weeks ago I heard on the news that OPEC agreed to increase production so they said to expect lower gas price. So far until two days ago, the price has remained steady then suddenly spiked.

I wonder if it will get any worse than this. I hope not, but with the issue going on with the Iraq, you get the idea.

:realmad: :realmad:
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Wait till we go to war and it hits $3.00 a gallon.
    Makes me wanna buy Toyota's.

An average of $100.00 every plow run for gas is getting crazy. Only half way through the season and already had 17 full plowable events. Just looked at my QB fuel report from 12/01/02-now and i have spent almost $2,300. Glad i raised the prices $50 across the board this winter to cover my gas.
  3. J&R

J&R Junior Member

The price will go to what ever that bunch of old peckers want it to go. Sorry i ment to say OPEC. I was right the first time bunch of old peckers
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

2 days ago I plowed out 1 large lot 5 tacobells 2 small lots and 9 residentials and used $80 in gas....if we go to war I will buy a motorcycle to ride on errands & travel with but my 5-6 mpg big block will sit.

5. dangerousdarren

dangerousdarren Member

i heard something on the news about a strike at a refinery or something, causing the high prices. screw the tree huggers, i agree with the pres, we need to start drilling more for oil here in the us. those arab's give us nothing but trouble and what do we do, we buy most of our oil from them and give them more money to buy missles with. that makes a lot of sense(insert sarcasm)
  6. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Yep, heard that gas is going up tonight by $0.06 a litre here on the west coast as well. How much is that you say? well 0.06 x 3.75 = 0.225 cents per gallon CDN (Who cares what that is in USD), and we aren't even going to war! Someone was switching to their motor cycle? Me, I puting chains on the mountain bike soon. (Does Meyer build a plow for bikes? :) ) Nevermind Mike!
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2003
  7. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I remember during Desert Storm in '91, gas was up around $2 a gallon. Fortunately I was driving a 4 cylinder at the time. Now is a different story. We average $600 a month in fuel during the landscaping season. Looks like we'll just have to hold on and ride it out. It could be worse, my wife and I were in the Carribean last month, on St. Thomas the price was equivalent to about $3 a gallon:eek: Mike
  8. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I think that is a fair price for gas, especially for being in paradise! :D

I too can only imagine what the prices will jump to with another war coming. Better start saving for that too. Might be sooner than we think!

Gets old hearing all the old timers talk about gas and how cheap it was way back then.
  9. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

War, Drill,,,, What ever it takes. I have no doubt that our auto's will one day run on something other, but we are not going to run out before that happens and paying anything more than $1 a gallon is just wrong. I watch the "gas tax" also. A month or so ago when the price was at around $1.30 a gal I checked how much we were paying in taxes of that $1.30 about $.34 of it was all Tax! So yeah, sore spot, but now after the vent (it helped) I just wanted to say that I do what I was taught about gas prices when they were less than $1 a gal with tax. Put it in the contract. I never had to use it when I was working for someone else, but that little "Prices are quoted on a gas price of $1.50 a gallon or less, and will be adjusted accordingly when prices rise above said price." really helped this year. The stations don't care, why should you. Just my $.02 Sorry about the (SP?) just tired and the new wireless does not have sp check.....
  10. J&R

J&R Junior Member

I hate to say this. I think back and recall. Gas 18 gallon and they would check your oil and wash your windows. And also give a glass as a give away.
  11. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Well . . . . I just figured out what we're paying locally. $0.799 per litre this must not quite be paradise because
    0.799 x 3.75 = $2.99625 per US gallon, so you can see, Canada is allllmost paradise. So close I can almost taste it, but being winter I won't stick my toungue out for fear it will freeze. :) :) :)
  12. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Windmill- no offense, but I will stick with the Carribean for my vacations:D Mike
  13. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

You must be around my age. I worked at a gas station durning that erra, its been a few years...

14. J&R

J&R Junior Member

Gene gle- 52 years young. how about this new VW cars were around 1600.00
  15. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm 60 years. The old VW, Sabb and there was another little car that had a perpeller in the back that could also go into the lake like a boat. The owner of that one drew a crowd of onlookers every time he took it for a spin on the lake. I worked right across the road from the boat ramp. AH, the old days.........

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Gas at .15 during "gas wars" during the late 60s. Also remember working for .75/hr.:rolleyes:

The "good old days" weren't always so good. Just different.
  17. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

over 3.00/ Gal. since few month

0.839 per litre, 3.75litre ina gal...do the math. 100$ for a pick up and a can.

We may reach the 1.00$ if war happen.

Few years ago a lot of people were going to the usa to get gas, but now, with our low dollar, it doesn't worth the money anymore...Now we are seeing a lot of USA car at the shopping center, 1.60 for each dollar plus a refund of our nice 15% tax on goods and services at the border.
  18. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Id just like to point out that they do care, and they make the same amount of money per gallon whether gas is $5.00 a gallon or $1.20 per gallon. now maybe if you said the major oil companies, or opec doesnt care, but its not the dealers out to screw everyone.
  19. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

MDB, your right I did not mean "all" stations,:eek: but most around here... Not all stations do this, but I know the last time we almost went to war, 99% of the stations in town jumped to $3 + a gallon, and two days later when the mayor spoke on TV he stated that almost all of the stations around town were trying to capitalize on the war and hiked the prices, that was when I started blaming the stations. I know it's bigger than that for most of the jumps, but stations around where I lived were fined because of the pricing that had been going on for years...:realmad:

Sorry, not trying to blame all.... When one station in town is at $1.28 last week, there are others at $1.61. I know,,, just venting again...... Thanks.
  20. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I filled my Cummins last night,wow 1.68 for #2 diesel here.Then they wonder why guys run red fuel!I can get red for 1.21 a gallon here now.I paid .92 in october when i filled my tank for the tractor.Im just glad I have a Cummins,couldnt imaging having a gas big block i wouldnt even want to drive it. My fuel bill is sky high this yr too,especially with the cold we let them run a lot more than usual.