1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DYNA PLOW, Oct 20, 2000.

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

gentelmen? due to the fact that i own a gas station
    i am allways curious what fuel prices are at in other parts of the country. 87octane in wisconsin is 1.62
    diesel 1.66
    enlighten me

BUSHMASTER Junior Member

columbus ga reg 1.32 per gal
  3. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Phila, PA reg. 1.53 per gal
  4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

In Nova Scotia regular self serve 79.9 cents/liter.
    For you non metric guys, $3.02 CDN/us gallon. Now since our dollar isn't worth much these days, that's about 2.02 us/gal.
    Want to ship some of your cheap stuff up!

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, I saw this thread earlier, and had to go down to the quick chek type place...

On the way, I pass 3 stations.

Hess -Full serve
    reg $1.49 (87 Octane)
    plus $1.57 (89 octane)
    Super $1.61 (92 octane)
    (No repairs, cigs and gas only)

Amoco - Full serve
    reg $1.56 (87 Octane)
    plus $1.66 (89 Octane)
    Premium $1.72 (92 Octane)
    They don't put the Ultimate price on the sign...
    (Repairs, 2 bays)

And last..

Exxon - Full serve
    reg $1.43 (87 Octane)
    plus $1.57 (89 Octane)
    super $1.61 (92 Octane)
    (Convenience Store, no repairs)

You can't pump your own gas in NJ.

I really have to wonder why they even sell 87 Ocatne??? I wouldn't even put that in my lawn mowers!

How's that Dan? No diesel posted on the signs, but Hess sells it, and so does Exxon.

6. eskals

eskals Member

Why no 87 octane gas? Most engines don't require a higher octane, although some do.

Have you had problems with 87 octane?

Just wanting to know. I use 87 all the time w/ no problems. Should I switch?

7. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

North western NJ

Reg. unleaded = $1.46
    Super unleaded = $1.58
    Diesel = $1.63
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Central CT self serve 87 (all Id ever use thats usually all that comes out of the 93 hose anyway prem is for suckers but thats a different thread) today ranged $1.58(Citgo) to $1.66 (Sunoco) Diesel is around $1.75 everywhere I saw.
  9. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Well, my 80 GMC owners manual says to use 90 octane minimum. Any truck or car that has an on board computer, can compensate ignition timing for 87 octane, but even some of them recommend higher octane. My old "junk" (as some would call it) can't compensate for low octane. It runs best on 92. I get 92, because no one sells 90, and 89 and 87 are too low. The engine will ping like mad going up hills with 87 or 89 even. Around here, there's nothing but hills and mountains.Of course the truck will run on 87, but not run it's best. Repeated use of low octane can cause detonation, and lead to a hole in a piston. (In extreme cases)

As far as you using 87 octane, check your owners manual. The same goes for your equipment. Mowers, blowers, snow blowers, even 2 stroke equipment. See what octane rating they recommend for each machine. You might be surprised. Too low of an octane fuel is just as bad as too high. You won't find me running the 114 octane in my truck or machines that my brother runs in his jet ski (major engine mods done). And you won't find him running 92 in his jet ski.

Oh and the prices I gave above are from Nutley, and Lynhurst, NJ.
  10. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"hills and mountains" Come on Chuck, you're talking about NJ, they're only hills no matter how hard we try to think big ;) .
    I'm with eskals. I've only ever used regular (I suppose 87 octane) in everything old & new & never a problem that I've noticed. $1.54 here & now. I just checked the 2 closest mower engine manuals I have & they say minimum 85 octane. I read an article (I wish I'd saved it) a few years ago that said 90% or more of engines (cars mowers etc,) don't need more than the regular grade of gas, and that the higher grades were basically a scam as far as most engines go. I think it mentioned that the higher grades were for special applications like the jet ski you mention. I guess I'll keep using regular until I notice a problem.
  11. Chuck Smith

from NJ

BRL, have you ever had the pleasure of climbing the hill on 280 west in West Orange? Or should I say BOTH of the hills? It's the steepest grade in the state of NJ. Being in landscaping,you know what grade means. The distance and rate of rise. That hill has killed more cars and trucks. There's always someone broke down 1/2 way up it, especially in the summer. At least a car a month catches fire climbing it. It's that long and steep. There was some kind of study a few years ago, and 280 was the most dangerous highway in the state, as far as accidents and deaths.

Hey, don't the Watchung Mountains run through Somerset? Or are you a flatlanders there? I travel 80 west a lot, up to RT 15, in fact, it will be my daily commute soon. First the 280 hill through West Orange, and then on to 80 west. Oh joy :(

And yes, I've ran 89 before, and listened to the ping all the way up the hills. I guess your truck is computer controlled huh ;)

I have to look in the manual for the 12HP Kawasaki motor on my bobcat. I think that one said 90 or better, not sure.

That article you read was correct. All the computer controlled ignition systems, with "knock" sensors, (and all the other sensors) can adjust ignition timing to compensate for low octane. Using 92, or 93, or 94, is a waste. My brother replaced the computer on his 95 Dodge with a Mopar one. It said to run 92 minimum in the owners manual that came with it. With the stock Dodge computer, 87 would have been fine. In even older trucks, that could run leaded gas, they need the higher octane. Regular leaded gas, was 89 octane. The "high test" was naturally higher. This 87 octane came about when unleaded hit the scene and leaded was banned. By then all new cars had computers.

[Edited by ChucksChevyPages on 10-21-2000 at 03:53 AM]
  12. EPP200

EPP200 Junior Member

SW Suburb of Chicago, IL ... 87 octane was $1.52

I was in the actual city of Chicago today (only 15 miles from above price same gas station "Amoco") and it was $1.68

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

WOW ! thanks for all the prices guys,and yes ultimate is somewhat of a scam.all the snowmobilers around here use that stuff...they think they are *going faster* with more *horsepower* not so. i like to sell ultimate, more profit
    regular gas profit .08 a gallon
    ultimate profit .17 a gallon
    sell more ultimate get new v plow
    so as chuck said buy more ultimate!
  14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

<the pleasure of climbing the hill on 280 west in West Orange? Or should I say BOTH of the hills? It's the steepest grade in the state of NJ.>
    Yes. And the key word there is hill. The Watchung Mountains are just another bump in the road as far as I'm concerned. Although 2 of the roads going over it have a steeper grade than the 280 hills you mention, but they're not state roads, so they're probably not included in the facts that you cite. The other thing is its quick, 1\4 to 1\2 mile and you're on top. I just think its funny to hear NJ "flatlanders" who've never travelled to real mountains talk about NJ "mountains". Actually Aspen is where the only almost mountains are in NJ. I guess I've been spoiled by visiting the ski resorts in VT & NY so much, & I've been to the Rockies a few times & NJ just doesn't cut it for me anymore :(
  15. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Well, compared to <B>real</B> mountains, NJ has none. But, around here, and north and west of here, there's nothing but "mountains". If I get on the parkway south from here, I can go all the way to AC without a hill. Got my best gas mileage ever in my 77 Chevy going down to LBI. I got 17 mpg. Not bad for a 400 motor, 4bbl carb, and 35" tires!
    I like to travel up RT 206, and go fishing in High Point State park, Stokes State Forest, most of northern Sussex County. Up there, I get about 9 MPG.

I remember when 280 first opened. That was a long time ago, but I still marvel at how much rock they had to drill and blast to carve that road through the, ummm "hill". Those are some tall cliffs. They are building sound barriers on it now. I saw one section, that has to be 10' from house foundations. Those people <B>used</B> to have a great view!

16. Chuck Smith

from NJ

The reason my brother runs 114 in his jet ski, is because he has to. It has a lot of work done to the motor, and the compression ratio is way to high for normal "pump gas". Interestingly enough, he has a snow mobile too, and that he runs 92 in. No, you are right, higher octane doesn't mean it will go faster, or have any more power. It just won't cause an engine to ping, that was designed to run on fuel with a particular octane rating. When I had my motor built for my 77 Chevy, They made the compression ratio the highest it could possibly be, and still run on "pump gas". Most V 8 engines, in "stock" form, have a compression ratio of 8.5:1. You can get by on pump gas with 9.5:1. Once you go to 10:1, then pump gas just doesn't have enough octane.

Also, no one replying to this thread has mentioned computer controlled ignition, vs. non computer controlled ignition.
    Guess me having an older truck, makes me a "sucker". Then again, I don't have high insurance, or monthly payments, and I have made back the initial purchase price, and all maint. cost at least 10 times over on this truck. I never have to worry about the 4wd light on the dash being on, and my 4wd not working because of a sensor either. Oh well....

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i share your opinion with older trucksworking mechanically
    not electronically. i can be a mechanic but not an electrical technician. the only diagnostic equipment i own is my brain.and that shur ai'nt wired rite. i was a small engine mechanic earlier in life.including being the head wrench for snowmobiles,watercraft. so i know what will run on pump gas and what will not, i have built a few motors that would not,however man did they scoooot!!
  18. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

Mountains- NJ has some mountain but nothing like out west. A far as run super for the hills or mountain, we don't. We only run regular in our gas trucks. But we rather run our diesel as much as possible. The gas truck just don't compare to our diesel for power and fuel mileage. 15 mpg with one of our powerstokes and that towing 20' enclosed trailer loaded. That up and down hills all day long. That not to bad.
  19. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck come up to Maine with your chevy. We got some hills, anytime ya want i meet ya at the bottom with my power stroke (or maybe one of my 95's with a 460), and beat ya to the top. Haa hee, just couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Gas prices. Depending on what part of maine. As low as 157, as high as 179, for 87 grade self service.
  20. steveair

steveair Senior Member

I have to jump in and back up my fellow state men and say to those that have never been to NJ that yes, we do have hills.

I travel from morristown to sussex county EVERYDAY, and yes, Trying to keep up with traffic in my 4cyl S10 is sometimes difficult when the speed limit is 65 and people are doint 75.

as for trucking, it can be a brutal ride. I'm sure Chuck is familiar with the hill on rt 80 right after rt 287 in the boonton/denville/parssippany area. Seen so many 'weekenders' blow there cars up by the time they get to the top of the hill. (Especially the idiots pulling there 30 ft boats with there 'mean and rugged' SUV'ing creeps, Nissan 'pathfinders to the repair shop', and ford Exploders.

My truck is dying as it is. Trying to pull a trailer and maintain speeds on highways is tough to begin with, none the less with long, 2 mile upgrades.

Also, to get back on topic, I think Chuck is right. Everycar I've owned, it seems that I have read that a higher octane rating is recommended than 87.

However, if prices continue like they are, I'll be looking for even lower if the price is right..........gas was 90 cents a gallon a little over a year ago. Thats almost doubled, or soon will be. Monthy 'budgets' can get screwed up quick when you drive close to 2500 miles a month and have to double the price of gas. If prices continue to rise at the same rate, I figured even with a 6% raise every year at my full time job, I will never be making any more money than I do now because all my 'raise' does is pay my increased gas bill. I don't think some people have any clue how gas prices are effecting there budgets.

For all you truck driving, suburban driving, 8 cyl. engine daily commuters out there, I don't know how you do it. I traded in my 97 chevy 1500 last year to save money on gas, now......I am dam glad I did.

[Edited by steveair on 10-21-2000 at 10:45 PM]