1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, May 7, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Okay, we've all heard that Mobil has made some killer profits this year so far, and we all know we need gas... but not from Mobil. Maybe if we boycot one particular gas brand, maybe they'll get their heads out of their collective-butts and stop with the gouging!

I filled my tank yesterday... $43.00... and I wasn't empty.

This is a little nuts. Suddenly it's summer. Suddenly people are traveling more. OH... and suddenly gas prices go THROUGH THE FREAKIN ROOF!!!! I don't buy the shortage BS, and I sure as heck don't buy the "We're not gouging the customers" crap either.

We all need gas, so we can't stop buying it. It's not going to make one bit of difference if we only fill our tanks half-way because then we're filling twice as often. And it's not going to do any good to not buy gas on a certain day.

So... let's just boycot one of them that we KNOW has made a killing off of us hard-working people.

If anyone has a better idea... let's hear it! I for one am really getting pissed-off about this. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a motorcycle.

-Tim

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

slimjim. the reason gas prices are so high are due to OPECS stipulations. all the gas station dealers and including mobils, operate on cents per gallon. no matter if gas is $3.00 a gallon or $1.25 the dealers are making the same amount per gallon. they prefer to have gas cheaper because it ties up less money. boycotting a certain brand of gas wont do anything. OPEC needs to get their asses kicked before this change occurs for lowering prices. My father owns two mobils and just a quick warning, he heard today that Shell and Chevron warned their dealers in california to order 3. symbols for the price signs because its going that high. expect gas to reach $2.50 or higher in your neck of the woods.

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I usually go to Mobil, a few cents more but 1) stations have more pumps, no lines no waiting, 2) Speedpass, no lines, whatever, 3) their pumps are usually twice as fast as other brands so Im in and out in under 5 min.

4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

mdb..
    Is it safe to assume that the gas station owner isn't putting any more actual profit in their pockets?? And, if Mobil and Exxon are sustaining record profits, it is the refinery that's making out?? Is OPEC's actions affecting the refineries adversely?

I - like most Americans - don't seem to understand why this is happening. I know we are all quite disturbed by it, though..... Since you seem to have some understanding of the 'system', can you enlighten us.

I'm not being sarcastic, I truly would like to understand what's happening, as it sure seems like we're all getting the shaft even though the oil companies are reporting record profits.

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I agree with MDB Landscaping, Mobil does offer some things other gas stations don't like company gas cards and the pumps are faster. I just don't get the whole thing. how can something fluctuate so much, they're just gouging people, there's no shortage, the oil companies do it on purpose just like not so long ago when there was a supposed drywall shortage. There was no shortage, the suppliers just cut the supply off because it was so cheap that builders were using it for everything even sheathing with special paper on it. Look at it now, drywall is such a big thing now price wise most people I know make it an item in itself when estmating new construction.

I did see diesel for $1.45 gas is $1.75 all the more reason to get a Duramax!!
    Casey

6. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

MDB,
    It sounds like you have way more insight into this issue than I do, so let me run something I read past you. (I wish I could remember where I read this, I think it was on Yahoo a couple of weeks ago.. anyway) The article bascially stated that the price increase is mainly due to the clean air requirements imposed by the government. (ie. the processing involved in adding the MTBE etc.) The article also stated that the price per barrel from OPEC has basically not moved for the past couple of months or so, maintaining approx. $25 per barrel. The last item of interest in the article was that the gasoline supply was actually slighly increasing, although it is still below the level it was at last year.

Any truth to this, or was this just BS.

Thanks,

7. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Tim,

I will trade you,when I fill mine it costs anywhere from $60. to $65.

Look at it this way,at least interest rates went down.:D

Mike Nelson

8. Woodman

Woodman PlowSite.com Veteran

Below is a link to the Energy Information Agency (our tax dollars at work) which gives some more info on the gasoline situation. If any folks tend to have conspiracy theories they'll probably scoff at the site.

However, I think most of the analysis done by EIA is simply comparing past data with current and explaining the trends.

Anyway we paid for it....

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oil_gas/petroleum/special/gasoline_update/market_summary.html

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It all comes down to this they raise gas prices it cost us more for our every day things because of shipping and production of products.We then inturn charge more for our services and products that we sell.So we get back to the same cycle but just paying alot more.In some places they charge more for gas but they have no taxes we will be paying more for gas ,oil etc. and still have to pay for our gas.Why doesen't our congressmen and such do something about this.If they can't I think that every one should just cut there long trips down this summer not do as much driving as you would normally do to make them have a glut of the stuff.and then we can laugh at them.

10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

hey rob, you are correct, the reason the gas began to spike was due to the banning of mtbe in Calfornia. that explains why the gas has skyrocketed out there. recently the government released new standards that is going to affect how the production of gasoline occurs. the new standards are going to be costly. also, there have been hardly any new refineries built in the US in a number of years. the number of refineries there are today just cant keep up with production. somebody else mentioned about price goughing. i think there is a court case going on where OPEC may have purposely created a oil shortage to increase the spike in gasoline. things arent going to get better and less some of the enviornmentalists back off.

11. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

On the supply side, I understand that diesel/home heating oil has been on the low-inventory side for two years now. The refineries are going full steam to try to build inventories for next winter, but at the same time, diesel is going into construction equipment that is normally idle in the winter (except we snow plowers and loggers like me :p )

Anyway, a low supply shifts the price on the demand curve and here we are. The oil companies did not add capacity over the last 4 years because oil prices were so low 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, so there was no incentive. Now, they need the capacity, but by the same token, are benefitting from the tight supply. I think that the thinking in the industry has changed, and running on tighter inventories will be more the norm.

BTW, gas was raised to 82.9 cents per litre here, 5 hours north of Buffalo. That's $3.13 per US galloon. Diesel is "still" only $2.65 per galloon. Ho Humm

12. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere back when the gas prices started to got up last winter that a lot of people where blameing the local oil companies. When if fact they said that the government imposes a .50 cent tax on every gallon of fuel that we buy. Right there would help with some of the cost. Also I heard that the oil we get in Alaska is being shipped to other contries and refineries instead of staying here at home! Just what I've heard... not saying I'm right but if these are true ...WHY? right now 87 is $1.69 up from $1.61 one week ago. I think all the help we give other nations we should get one h-ll of a break on oil and what not. If not ....we stop protecting everyone else in the world. Sorry just venting. Tired of the US saving everyone but getting stabbed in the back at the same time.

13. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

There is a small independent gasoline station here in Stamford, that has actually stopped selling gas in protest of the ever increasing prices. he can't keep up with the increases from one week to another. Seems he can't sell enough gas during a week to get enough money to pay the weekly increases in the price he pays.

I think we need to follow his example on a national scale. We need a Nationwide Boycott of gasoline manufacturers. I say we stop buying gas or any petroleum company product (and there are hundreds if not thousands of them) for a period of time from two days to a week.

The President of the United States good ol' GW says he refuses to suggest a reduction in the Federal gasoline tax. Should we have expected anything else from him? I mean after all isn't he an Oil Company man! and so is Dick Cheney ! I mean was this country Blind? the writing was on the wall!!! Yet, somehow two Oil company men get elected to the highest offices in the land... and we wonder why the prices started going up.

Its time for Americans and people around the world to say enough is enough!!! This is a conspiracy of the highest degree. The Oil/Gas companies are in cahoots, we are not stupid, there are hundreds of millions of gallons in underground storage tanks around this country. and the refineries that are still open are going full bore in production. But there are refineries that are shut down that need to be re-opened that will in crease production.

The same thing goes for energy companies, They tell you they are shutting down a power plant for safety reasons, or for service. This artificially reduces production at a time when energy demands are increasing. Supply and demand folks, trouble is , that companies are manipulating the supply as the demand increases so they can gouge the consumer.

I didn't vote for GW and DICK, and I sometimes wonder if Dick isn't pulling the strings on GW, but there is definitely something rotten going on in DC and in the Oil Company Board rooms.

A NATIONAL BOYCOTT OF ALL PETROLEUM PRODUCTS SHOULD BE ORGANIZED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Thats the only way to send a message to the fats cats!

We should also be bombarding our elected officials with letters, emails and phone calls about this organized ripoff of the American Consumer. During the gas shortage of the late seventies, I worked in a gas station, we had all the gas we wanted, our tanks were full, and we never had trouble getting gas shipments. Takers were sitting outside New Haven Harbor loaded to the gunnells. That shortage was a contrived manipulation of the market by the oil companies and OPEC. This alleged shortage is being blamed on a fire at a refinery, and lack of additional production capacity. Do they think we are stupid? Over the years the bigger companies have consistently bought out or forced out the smaller oil companies and refineries. Its called a MONOPOLY. Now Mobil and Exxon have merged another Monopoly, yet the SEC and the Fair Trade commission allow this to happen. The federal government Broke up Bell telephone and Created all the Baby bell companies so that there wouldn't be a monopoly, so that the consumer had a choice... BS, Now years later the Baby Bells are starting to merge again, They are letting Large Oil companies merge, they are letting Banks merge and who is suffering??? US!!!, the poor consumer. the people the government is supposed to be working for... not against!

I say we tell them we are mad as Hell and won't take it any more...

Don't buy Gasoline or any petroleum company product for a period of a week and see what happens to the prices. :mad:

14. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Brim,

I paid $1.85 9 for 87 Octane yesterday, was $1.81 9 a week ago, and $1.75 9 a week before that.

A month and a half ago it was $1.59 9

all of these prices include our states wonderful 40 cent tax

WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF.:mad:

15. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

This is why I got a diesel :)

16. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Hello,

What I don't understand about gas is the tax rate.

Doesn't the fed/state/etc. have about a 40% tax rate on every gallon of gas sold (20% fed/20% state/etc)?

If this is the case, then think about it......

2 years ago, when gas was around $1.00 a gallon, the tax would be 40 cents. Now, as gas approaches $2.00, that means our great country is getting 80 cents a gallon.

If this is the case, as I believe it is, then WHERE THE HELL is all the extra money going too.

If G. Bush wants to win me over, a tax cut on gas would probably be on of the biggest ways to help us have some.... relief. This is ridiculous.

Things like this really get you thinking. The gov't has now DOUBLED its tax income on every gallon of gas sold. Think about it, and think about ALL that money.

A 'flat rate' would be much more pratical on gas sales. Say, 40 cents a gallon, no matter what the price is. Now, we pay 80 cents a gallon in taxes.

This gets me 'fueled' up to say when I think about it!

steveair

17. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

SlimJimZ71

Would you say this picture says it all?

18. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

AMEN Rooster.

It's true... A picture IS worth a Thousand Words!!!!:mad:

19. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Even though I buy my fuel in bulk.

2000 gallons of diesel.
    1000 Gallons of gas.

I still am seeing a big change in my bill.

I have a 2000 gallon gas tank, because we used to have more gas trucks. However I don't bother to fil the tank with gas, only at these prices maybe I should bite the bullet and fill it up.

Geoff