1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Or Electric

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by michaelo2790, Jan 2, 2009.

1. michaelo2790

michaelo2790 Member
    from chicago

I am buying a new spreader soon and want to know which way to go. If you could also explain your reasoning. I am looking at the Western Tornado or Fisher polycaster (same spreaders) for electric and A Western ice Breaker w/ Honda engine. Thanks for your input.

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Doctors offices/party stores = electric
    Retail/Hotels/roads = gas Motor

If you need to put a decent amount of product down it takes a long time with electric

3. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

+1.... ive never used electric vboxes just electric tailgates and gas vboxes but have heard that the electric vboxs are very slow spreading a lot of salt and takes a good amount of power to unload it all...

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

this is true, but you know at least the electric will run when its zero degrees outside

personally i saw a swenson poly..with electirc , i think thats the way to go...ill never go gas again

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  5. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I run gas v-boxes now and one electric tailgate and if I were to buy another v-box I would try electric. The salt just eats the engines. I haven't really had any problems in the past 3 years with the buyers and briggs deal but I would like to try electric. No sta-bil in the gas all summer, no chokes or warming up. I can't say how an electric spreads but it is tempting to try.

6. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hydraulic!

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I love my Polycaster (electric). If I need to put material down faster, I can just open the chute more. If I had central hydraulics (maybe next year) I would do hydraulic. Electric would be my second choice. Airflow makes a two motor electric stainless, I think 8 foot. Sounds sweet. If I had to go gas, go Honda.

8. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I agree with that!!!

9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

GO dual electric if you can. Smith, Downeaster and others make em. I have an old smith series 1 electric and it works well, puts out the salt almost as well as a gas one as long as the salt is dry,

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

second that

11. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I have a single elec Downeaster and like the simplicity of it. The only problems I've had is a rusted drive chain 2x (I have since replaced with a salt water duty chain, just as strong and not nearly as expensive as ss) and if I load it too fast sometimes the spinner won't move so I have to manually rotate the spinner until the motor can do it. I haven't had any real issues with it not putting down material fast enough, but I haven't used a gas model either. Next year I will add a second Downeaster, they now use dual motors an d have a swing up shoot, I will also trade in my current unit at the same time. I also plan on vibrators for them both.

12. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I run 2 electric airflows. I think they are great spreaders. With the shoot open all the way and the conveyer on full they put out alot of salt. Also it's also nice not to have to deal with any more gas engines.

13. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

I like electric or hydraulic. Never had good luck with gas.

14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

How much salt do you plan to spread per event ?
    I use a Salt Dogg, and that thing works great . Flip the switch and your spreading salt. Works great when it is -5 or 30 degree's out. I averaged about 4 ton per event last season, I had no problem salting all my accounts with that guy. Its a good unit, that I wouldnt trade to save 30 minutes a night on a gasser. When A gasser pukes, or decides to play games your in for a night of pure hell. New gassers can play games too. How about when its -10 :nod: Slow and steady wins the race in the back of pickups IMO. They are not that slow, you just can spew the whole v-box out in 10 minutes. If your salting 10 acre sites your looking at the wrong truck/v-box set up anyway.

Our storm systems in this area 90% of the time have a major cold front blasting in at the end of the system. When we get clippers it is nothing to have 5 degree's 2 hours after the event ended.
    Sounds like the Tornado got the bugs worked out now. I see alot of them bombing around here.

Smith, SnoWay, Airflow, and Downeaster make larger electrics as well.

15. michaelo2790

michaelo2790 Member
    from chicago

Doing about a 5 acre asphault lot. I have an under tailgate spreader on my dump and dont like it. I am leaning heavy toward the tornado.

16. michaelo2790

michaelo2790 Member
    from chicago

Who sells Air flow around Chicago?

17. snowangel13

snowangel13 Junior Member
    from chicago

I have 6 western gas v-boxes, 1 hydrolic v-box, 1 under the tailgate spreader on a 1ton dump and 1electric salt dogg and 1 western electric tornado. zero problems with the electric models and countless problems with the gas units. if running side by side in a lot, the gas unit (if working) will apply a little moe salt in a little less time but just a little. the pros out play the cons by far. The hydrolic is the way to go but the extra expense doesnt make any sense to me. the Under the tailgate spreader seems to put down too much salt on smaller lots and with the price of salt this year, i dont even take it out unless time is an issue. i will be replaceing 3 gas units with electric units and placing the gas units for sale.

18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i love my undertail gate

i will never go back to a v box... of any kind provided its going on a dump

what dont u like?

19. michaelo2790

michaelo2790 Member
    from chicago

Under gate

Dont like having to raise dump and spread and always leaves salt in the tray under the auger.

20. michaelo2790

michaelo2790 Member
    from chicago

Snow angel, Do you prefer the salt dog or Tornado and could you explain why? Thanks