1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Electric????????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ChicagoSnow, Sep 25, 2002.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Here is my dilema.................

I'm contemplating being a guinea pig of sorts(will not be first time). I truly enjoy trying different/new snow related equipment that can possibly enhance productivity and fulfill my quest to maximize as much of my snow fleet as possible in the summer(landscape services) and in the winter.

I am outfitting a 02 F-350 (PSD) with a salter, now the challenge is this vehicle needs the ability to carry a minimum of 2 yards of salt(minimum- I know over weight/I will deal with that) and be able to un load easily and quickly. My choices that I have found to fit in a standard 8' pick-up bed are "V" boxes(with spray kit), Truck Craft aluminum dump insert with spreader tailgate(electric driven). I like, when dealing with corrosive materials to deal with durable/non-rusting materials such as stainless steel or aluminum. I know the costs are greater, but I feel the increased life expectancy and increased image(nice appearance) justifies the additional expense.

Now I have used gas powered V box salters with good experience, but of course the V box is solely dedicated to snow! Where as the aluminum Truck Craft insert w/tail gate spreader can be used nicely in my summer operations to dump various materials - but I have not used or know of anyone who has tested one og these under commercial "salt spreading" conditions.

I've priced out 8' Stainless V boxes w/Honda engines - Hi-Way $5,800.00 & Swenson w/(2)15 gal. spray kit for $7,600.00.(Winter use only - heavy)

or

Truck Craft Aluminum/stainless steel(mostly aluminum) 8' electric dump insert with a electric tailgate auger/spreader for $7,000.00
    (All year use - light in weight/more possible payload)

What do you think??????????????

ChicagoSnow

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had a lot of problems with my Briggs powered Torwell, as far as electrical connections at the plug went. I would replace couplers a couple times a season just to keep it running. I switched to hydraulic operation.

I can't help in the electric version, never had one. My concern would be the draw on the electrical system, but with your truck you've got dual batteries, might be OK.

You should be aware that while aluminum doesn't "rust" (iron oxide), salt is a corrosive element to it and it will deteriorate over time.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have an electric spreader on my Toyota. Draws maybe 20 amps running. A little more at startup. The thing can run all say and the alternator barely notices. Most of the time it is on only for a minute or two.