1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Electric

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Buddhaman, Oct 26, 2007.

?

Gas or Electric Salt Spreader

1. Gas

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Electric

21 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Looking to purchase a new V box spreader. Most likely going with the Salt Dogg. It will either be the poly electric or the stainless gas. Just wondering what everyone prefers and why.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

electric deffintly, you dont want to be out there at 3 am in the freezing cold trying to get a gas engine to fire.

3. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

he's got a snow blower with a realy long cordLOL

i vote gas

take a minute to read this thread there is good and bad about both on there

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Give me gas anyday. My gas motor took a dump last year and in a matter of 30 minuets we were back in bussiness.

Bossman

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i'd say gas!!!! i've never used electric but what wrong with gas. we run a briggs, and anyone and everyone can work on them or get parts. never had any problems so far with ours in 3 seasons. everyone runs gas snowblowers in the cold and never has any problems.

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Electric...lots less to go wrong with it and better reliability. We have been using them for years. I would aslo go with poly over stainless.

$.02

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've been running electric for about 5 years and will not go back to gas.

No spark plus, oil, gas, or battery worries.

Go with a electric designed not one of the converted units. independent control over spinner and auger is a wonderful thing.

If you're going saltdogg go with the poly unit.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Yes each have thier pros and cons but when the salt is on the ground they are about the same. The main difference is for the larger lots and when you need that extra go power then gas is the key. For around here we have lots of that cannon ball snow where the humidity levels are high and the temps are near freezing. Salt seems to pick up the moisture content and become heaver too. This is when you see the benifits of gas.

Plus, you can always find gas motors on sale and make them fit your salter, keeping one on the shelf at the shop. PS has anyone priced out a electric motor, seem to be pricey from what I can remember from my tailgate bagged salt days. Although prices can change.

Rember knowlege is key when purchasing equipment and don't think short term think 2-3 seasons from now. For buying the right equipment this season might not be in your best intrest next.

DAFF