1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Or Electric?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FREDSKI, Aug 20, 2006.

FREDSKI Member

Looking To Buy A V Box Salt Spearder . My Question Is Which Motor Is Better For A V Box Gas Or Electric? I Got My Eye On A Snow Ex V Box That Has A Electric Motor. Need Some Advice Any Would Be Help Full.
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Stratch both. Get a western tornado or fisher polycaster. V-boxes suck. Period. Nothing is more fun then unloading a V-box by hand after your snaped a chain. Or fighting with a gas motor. Or burn up an electric motor at 3 am.

If you don't have central hydraulic and an under tailgate spreader. Then the tornado is your best choice.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've had excellent luck with my Snow Ex VeePro 80000. I spread straight salt no sand. They do not work near as well with straight sand. I like the ability to control the feed and spread rates independently of each other. It's a relief not having to worry about whether or not the engine will start, not having to carry a gas can. No more stuck chokes filling the crankcase with gas.
    If you are going to do straight salt the vee pro is great, If you want to do sand a standard v box gas drive is the way to go.
  4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Never heard of the Tornado Poycaster and can't find any info. Got a link?
  5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I agree with basher, electric is fine for salt or calcium chloride. For sand or a sand-salt mix nothing beats the power of a gas v-box.
  6. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

A few years ago I started a thread about the Vpro8000 and how much I THOUGHT it would be great. I bought it, and then the disaster happened. Do a search on that p.o.s. and you will see that I am not the only one who was in that boat.

If you do commercial salting, the vpro is Bush League. I thought bad things about gasser vboxes as well. I spent the extra $200 on the Honda engine and have never had a problem with it firing. With a vbox, you ABSOLUTELY have to do the maintenance on everything.

Also, if you are looking at a Vbox, I would do only stainless steel.
  7. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Snoway, Smith or Downeaster electrics spread sand better then gassers IMO. I have run a Smith electric and a Snoway, I just picked up a new snoway. The electric is smooth and simple, no clutches ot throttles. Two wires. No problem throwing WET sand in a 30+ feet swath.

The first storm I ran electic I decided to sell three gas v-boxes. The only other option I would run is central hydraulics. I have one of these and I would say it is the best but also ost expensive option.

Last year we probably ran 120 yards of salt/sand through 2 electric v-boxes with no problems. Another 75 or so through our hydro truck.
  8. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Western Tornado

I went and looked at the new Western Tonado Poly v-box. Its a slick electric box, no auger down the center it has a rubber conveyor and the entire bottom half is stainless. The spinner is removable and it has a built in cover/lid that when you are loading it folds down on the sides of your truck to keep salt from spilling into your bed when loading. They are only 550lbs and have stands built in so 2 guys can unload it out the back and it just stands up on end. They are nice!!
  9. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

How much are they?
  10. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

Right at $3000 not installed.
  11. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Just got one. $3179.

12. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

Bought an electric Downeaster last year, will never buy a gas operated v box again the thing is not only easy to install, it spreads sand and salt mix better than the Meyers gas I got rid of.