1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas or electric

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by nepmgmt, Jan 4, 2006.

1. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i have bin looking at getting a v box for my new(new to me)truck 8 foot bed. which is a easier to use reliable and better working spreader gas or electric. i do not have very much knowledge in this field so it is all knew to me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I bought a new snoway electric and took it back and swutched to gas. I had a bad experience with it though, the motor was bad so it wasn't really a fair comparison. The new one has a 10.5 briggs on it, has never let me down. I think the gas has alot more torque to move the conveyor. I will never go electric.

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I bought a Swenson electric spreader this year and I have had no troubles with it. I would recommend electric because they are very simple and dont have that darn gas engine to try to get to run in inclement conditions. I did change the drive sprocket right a way to a smaller one to speed up the conveyor. It was a little slow from the factory. I also will add boards to increase capacity next year.

4. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

how does the electric one get its power i know it must have its own battery but how does it get charged and keep its charge. i like the idea of an electric one only because of the less maintenance and not having fill up a gas tank.

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

It is hooked to to the trucks electical system. The wire runs down the frame of the truck and you install a switch in the cab. The unit only has a motor, not a separate battery.I have not had any kind of trouble with the electrical system not keeping up. You could probably unload a whole load with the truck turned off and still be ok.

6. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

We own a smith electric used it for three years and only had a problem once. It was loaded with very very wet salt and the breaker kept tripping. i opened the chute wider than normal and it came out just fine. we really like it. randy

7. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i would think that it wouls kill ur baterrey because i have heard that a plow dranes it andd that u have to be carfull with the radio and other electronics.

8. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have electric and love it. It doesn't hurt your vehicles electrical system at all. It takes less draw than your plow.

9. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i can see that it might not take as much draw as the plow but if u have that the plow the lights and heater radio u get my drift will the battery's be able to handle the load. also do all diesels have dual battery's and if not would it make sense to put them in with a HD alternator

10. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

The battery is not even an issue at all with a electric salter. I would recommend a heavy alternator with even just a plow. The alternator replenishes the little juice the salter uses very quickly. The battery never gets run down.

11. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

I agree with anthony the salter doesn't draw much. Also you should have a heavy duty alternator. I think all diesels come with 2 batteries. Our pickups are gas and just use one battery and the heavy duty alternator that comes with a plow prep package we have no problems

12. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

thanks for all the help

13. sawbones25

sawbones25 Member

Before I bought mine, I read somewhere on here to go with gas. The standard gas powered V-box is a proven design that's been around for many years whereas the electric ones are still new technology and prone to failure because all the bugs haven't been worked out of them yet.
    I'm not sure how true that is, Just passing along what I heard.

I will admit that it did make me think twice about electric.
    He had a point; if gas powered spreaders were a bad design, why have they been around for so long...

When it came time for me to buy one, I was watching two spreaders on Ebay, one electric, one gas. The gas one ended up being less expensive so I picked that one up.

So far, no complaints. Only used it twice though...

14. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

thanks that good info i haven't read much on hear about electric once. it seams like it would be easier because it is one less thing to have to buy gas for and maintain. i haw looking at Swenson's web site i think and they had a hydraulic one that was powered by a 6.5 hp engine which is more economical. anyone have one whats the price.

15. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

I use all electric. I am a SnowEx user and have never had any trouble with batteries. Just like everyone else here, the draw is minimal. As long as a heavy duty alt. is used and should be for your plow, you will not have any trouble. Nicest thing about electric - no belts, chains, pulleys or gas motors to break at 2:00 am. That's my two cents worth. However, do remember that regardless they are all equipment and they all sell parts. But if you can eliminate many of the parts, why not do it? Choose SnowEx and choose a winner. No, I do not sell SnowEX. Just a satisfied user.

16. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

i am liking the electric more and more after each post lol. it seems to be the not having to fuel it at night in the snow not as much manines thanks for all your help. what brands make electic spreaders

17. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Snoway, Snowex, Swenson, Salt Dogg, Buyers, Smith, Ice o Way

18. nepmgmt

nepmgmt Member

thanks for the names i was looking at the smith spreaders and they have a hydraulic drive one so how is it powered