1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or electric?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JustJeff, Sep 11, 2014.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Going to buy a v-box salter this year and have never offered salting before. Not sure if I should go gas or electric. what are the pros and cons of each? Reliability, durability, maintenance, etc??? Thanks for your input.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Electric all the way. All snowex here

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed....

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Gas here Never had any problems with the motor I owned it since 95 or 96 Im on my 2nd chain

It always starts

Electric Some like them some don't I have a friend switch to Electric and then he switch back to gas He said he burn up 2 motors in one winter That is was reason he went back to gas
    I told not to cuz I was making more money when I ran his route for him I made little over 4k the 2 times his was down

I thought about buying one with build in wetting system but I'll keep my gas on hand

5. TLSIMMONS

TLSIMMONS Member

I have Air Flo electric spreaders ,never had any trouble.

6. Dawdy Services

Dawdy Services Senior Member

I have gas ice breaker but would like a new western tornado electric

7. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Gas, I owned a Western V Box for 10 years, never needed repair. Rinse, wash, dry, lube, and adjust. Then use and Repeat.

8. CurbKilla

CurbKilla Junior Member

Ive always had gas. A few times in bitter cold its been a pain to start. I have a friend who bought the fancy new boss electric and loves it but has problems when the salt chunks up or he gets a frozen mudball. Jacks with the auger and has to go through a reset process. It also has a shorter box and is a pita to load with a 6' bobcat bucket, pours out the front and back. I start mine and let it run til im done. Its what I know so ill probly stick with it. Easy to switch between trucks too.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dual motor electric, saves, weight, material, hassles.

Allows adjusting the feed rate while maintaining spread width and/or travel speed. Lower, better located weight, no engine hanging out the rear, some units are as much as half the weight of a comparable gas drive unit.

They do required regular corrosion maintenance and like everything else the cheaper units will have more issues then the more expensive ones. No need to carry gas, oil or worry about a spark plug failure.

Electric units can be easier/cheaper to repair, for example changing an electric clutch with all the interrelated parts can take longer and equal the cost of changing the typical electric drive motor.

Material feed style choices are driven by material use, straight salt, auger units work well. Salt/sand mix or straight sand, I suggest a pintle chain type.

Many of the poly type hoppers have a removable rear chutes making trailer towing with spreader loaded easy and allows you to carry your spinner in the truck bed for better maneuverability and damage protection when not needed.

10. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the nice informed, comprehensive answer Basher.

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict