1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Electric Vbox?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Italiano67, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I have a gas powered Snoway Vbox spreader now and would like your guys opinion on going with the electic models. I probably will have hired help run this new unit so I was thinking on going with the electric as i was thinking it would have less troubles with starting etc.Does anyone have any answers or suggestions?

2. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

hello i'm sure you'll get several posts bashing the electric models but i run 2 western icebreakers one 10ft one 8ft and also a henderson chief 8ft and then 2 yrs ago i bought a 8000 snowex model and i can say i've never had one single problem out of it! the only thing i do reccomend is that i did modify the top screen because the screens square holes are way to big and i think thats why people have so much trouble with them i just bought some same size rods and welded them in and it made the holes half the size so bridging problem has never surfaced and my suppliers salt isn't the cleanest what so ever. i actually thought seriously about selling my henderson next yr and running another snowex or look at the salt dog. gas models are nice because of holding so much more especially my 10fter but alot more things that can go wrong with them, starters, clutches, chains, ect. i personally wouldn't run only electrics but like the idea of the best of both worlds because i know i can always count on my electric one and even though my gas ones have been great they have let me down on occasions, but i've learned to carry an extra starter and chain links, ect just to make sure not to be let down in the middle of a storm. hope this helps somewhat and if you have any other questions you can pm me. take care

3. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

ACA,
    I'm very happy for you that you have had a good experience with the v-pro 8000. I personally don't think they are very good. I have replaced two auger motors this season alone. My v-pro is for sale if you are considering adding to your fleet. I purchased it new in Feb 03...$3000.... Dec 04 replaced auger motor..$297 two saltings and one blizzard later replaced it again..$256 they didn't charge me labor second time...nice guys...Actually,i called Trynex and supposedly they are going to honor both motors under warranty. I'll believe it when I get the the check and it clears..In the meantime they sent me a piece to go over the auger shaft to cover the design defect..They say this will solve the problems..Either way its for sale..w/ dual vibrators.. Best offer..Call me 917 417 6611 or jax1013@verizon.net
    Thanks,
    good luck,
    Jack

4. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

hey jack, sorry to hear about your troubles with the 8000 but like i said in the beginning of my post i figured they'd be alot of people bashing there electric models. i guess i've just been lucky, and believe me i prob ran 45 to 55 ton thru it this yr just in that one i'm guessing i went thru a total of 300plus this yr. what do they say keeps on happening to your aug motors? and what part did they send you to fix it? my aug shaft has a cover that flips up and down to control how much you want to come out is that what your talking about? how much would you want for unit and where are you located at? thanks take care

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

gas vs electric

I cant imagine an electric motor giving you 10 hp to spread salt and unload spreader in a truck. I have 2 highway super p 10 foot spreaders. I have to maintain the conveyor, 2 chains, bearings, clutch and motor. But I don't think I would have enough electric to run 10 hp of 12 vdc motors on the trucks with out changing the alt. I would also think corrosion would be a real problem.

Just he idea of steel, copper, salt and water with electric added in sounds like corrosion problems.

We sold our tailgate electric spreaders yrs ago. They had a down side to them too. Salt spreading equipment is high maintenance.

Dave

6. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Although not directly on this topic of comparing stock factory machines, we came up with our own solution. We converted a gas powered v-box to electric. After a few changes came up with a system that works. It requires a gear box (from an old lawn tractor) and welding cable (a bit overkill but #6 wire was about ready to light up). The truck is diesel and is currently equipped with 2 1000 CCA batteries. The conveyor is slowed down and the spinner is sped up, we just leave the flow control gate wide open. It can shoot about 20 feet across the pattern. The motor is similar to an hydraulic power pack motor. The weaknesses are burning solenoids(out and in in 15 minutes & keep one in the glove box, 2 this season), and overheating motors (need a cycle time of 60 second on 30 second off). 60 seconds of salt is an awful lot of salt. We take it off when not needed; 2 welding cable connectors, unstrap and we have lift off. I've heard of a few companies that are now building them in this configuration commercially. 1996 K3500 alternator has been rebuilt 3 times.

7. ACA Landscaping

ACA Landscaping Member

hey dave most of your power of your 10hp motor is directly used up powering the conveyor chain, that takes alot of power to drag heavy salt or salt/sand material 10ft to the back of spreader to the spinner so if you do away with converyor chain and use a slanted design of hopper with and auger at end to control material flow it takes a whole lot less power which is what the snowex 8000 does. as for corrosion the auger motor is completely separated from the hopper and off to the side and enclosed in a sealed box so nothing can get in and as for the spinner motor its mounted above the spinner and connects with a ft or ft and a half shaft and its completely sealed also so no where near material either. as for powering unit about same as tailgate unit doesn't run truck down at all uses no where near the "juice" as a plow does and never had a problem what so ever in running down batteries. i like my gas models when just salting lots without plowing them if theres an acumilation of snow on the ground but not enough to plow the gas models work alot better but if your just salting ice or after plowing i kinda like the electric models better because of the fact both auger and spinner have seperate motors and seperate controls so you can control flow and how far you wish to throw it alot better. if i'm just doing ice treatments in my office complexes i can turn both up and make one pass and treat entire lot around building where as my gas it takes 2 trips. both have positive and neg about them thats why i like having both in my fleet. also great if somebody else is running it that might not have the experience so electrics a little bit more user friendly in that aspect.

8. jax1013

jax1013 Senior Member

v-pro 8000

ACA
    I tried to pm you last night...the rep from Trynex said they have a design flaw w/ the 8000. The diameter of the hole for the auger shaft is too large. This is letting water and salt to go into the "sealed" motor box. The auger motor is getting fried. I bought it Feb 03. Used it twice that year. 2004 maybe 5/6 x's...I put it away washed and lubed and garaged kept..The first time I turned it on, the auger motor would not turn. $296 later, was up and running. 2 salting in Dec..1 in Jan and the motor is fried again..$256 for the second motor in 2 months. I got a rep from Trynex and after going back and forth for 2 days,they are going to cover me for both motors.They sent me a plastic ring to slip over the shaft and cover the hole. I'll believe it when I get the $$$. I paid $3000 used it less then 12 x's..Asking $ 1500 cash and carry. I'm in Staten Island, 10308.. just south of NYC .You can reach me at 917 417 6611..Please read all posts re:v-pro 8000 and know what your getting into. Regards
    Jack