1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Or Electric Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Flawless440, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sure this topic has been brought up a few hundred times...

I run gas v- box spreaders, the dam engines have let me down a lot..

What are the pros and cons of running gas compared to electric

We build up wood sides to hold more salt on the spreaders, can electric motors handle crazy weight?

I love the idea of flip a switch to throw salt instead of starting a engine..

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it has been discussed to death. The survey says electric

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Electric. I have a hiway that was hydro that we converted to electric a few years ago and love it. I also have an airflo and a flink that we are converting to electric now. Electric is much better than gas.....imo

I have one switch to flip and it works perfectly. 2 electric motors run the whole thing. I have less than $400 in it and have run hundreds of tons thru it before I had to replace the motors. Also I routinely load up with 3+ tons of salt without any problems

4. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Electric all the way

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I love my 18 yr gas spreader avg 30 ton each winter Never had a problem with gas motor. its on its 2nd chain.
    One thing I like, I can slide it in any truck I want and don't have to worry about a truck is wired for it.
    I have friend has a electric model in a open lot mine will spread wider then his.

6. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I see each having their place yet. However the electrics are much more versatile. Have to love that everything is self contained on a gas unit. Takes less than 15 minutes to move from truck to truck. Running a Brigg's engine and replacing the proper pieces annually usually means no problems. Plan on replacing the engine about 10 years in ... if everything else is still ok that is.

7. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Electric! I am partial to the tornado line up. Storage in the off season is one of the best advantages to that style. no special equipment needed to load and unload when not needed.

8. lucky921

lucky921 Senior Member
    from dracut

I've got a snow ex it great with the 2 controlles one for auga and one for spinner so I can control
    Flow and spread love it

9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the great info... sounds like electric is the way to go...

think im going to find a new one to back up the gas ones

10. CurbKilla

CurbKilla Junior Member

Gas all the way. More power, Cheaper, less problems, easier on truck electrical system. Start the engine before you leave and let it run until your done. Don't start and stop it between lots. They use very little gas at Idle. and the oil and engine stay warm.

11. Stove

Stove Member

Electric airflo!!