1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Electric spreader?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Alta Lawn Care, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Alta Lawn Care

Alta Lawn Care Junior Member
    from vermont

An "old school" friend of mine swears by gas spreaders because he says the electrics (in combonation with the plow and lights) draw down the electrical system too much. He adds that his former partner used to plow with the lights off because of this problem.

I say that with the electric there is less chance for a breakdown and that I can get a second battery. Anybody try both and have a preference?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If it was that huge of a problem, i don't think they would make electric spreaders the way they do. And besides, it's really easy to get away from any chance of having this problem by running dual batteries and/or double alternator setup ;)

3. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

if your doing a lot at a single lot i would opt for the gas....we do i wanna say 8 1000-6000car lots that we run the gas spreader on...then we have a hand full of small lots pizza joints and such that i use bags and use an elct lesco tailgate spreader...they both work great imho...remember ur not going to be plowin and saltin at the same time....unless we do it wrong by plowing then saltin lol