1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or electirc spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ServiceOnSite, Oct 4, 2008.

?

Electric or gas salter

1. Electric

74.3%
  2. Gas

25.7%
  1. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i had a gas powered vbox last year and it seemed like nothin but problems. and my buddy had an electric vbox and after he upgraded his alternator and new batteries he had no problems for the rest of the winter. before he upgraded his truck he couldnt have the heater on or his head lights just the parking lights. kinda dangerous.

so i bouht his salter this year as he got out of plowing. that unit im gonna keep electric, and i have i different unit that is a western gas vbox. im think of just ripping off the gas motor and putting on a electric motor. what do you guys think. money end of it aside which would you chose if you had to pick between the two???

2. ServiceOnSite

thought that this would get a little more response than this............................ i knew i should have posted this in the pic area lol

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

you got some votes. the majority is for electric. i cant comment because all ive ever used is gas...and with minimal to no issues.

4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I hated trying to get the gas one running (cold ect). Also the other thing I liked about the electric is it is quiet. I hate smelling like gas also after you have to fill it up and then plow for 9 hours.

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

the electric is the way to go.... but you might have problems converting form electric to gas.... your gonna need electric motors that have similar power specs to your engine....as well as similar RPM, or you could do some math and play with the gears.... im not sure what the cost will beto convert, please let us all know... if you do

electric is way simple to run , operate and trouble shoot... the only problem is , you need to have clean salt, it jams much easier

6. ServiceOnSite

i kinda like the whole keep it simple idea behind electric. i have one now so finding another motor will be kinda easy just have to match up the same specs. never running outta fuel or having to worry about the floats getting stuck or bad fuel

7. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Electric is the only way to go these days. The maintenance is a fraction of a gas unit.

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Guys have been converting them for years. All the bugs are worked out, I believe it costs around $400 for parts including the motor. I doubt the guys in Erie are runnin clean salt LOL
    Jerre Heyer does them quite often. I suppose this post will get deleated since I mentioned his name, all the other ones do :nod::rolleyes:

9. ServiceOnSite

why is that who is he.????????

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well i d like some info on the convereting... i have a spreader that gunns pretty good however, i don tthink the motor is gonna be in the same shape too much past this season..... something to look into

11. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

If all you run through your v-box is salt then an electric is a good deal...If you do salt/sand mix stick with gas...an electric can't pull the weight of the sand if you get it overloaded or wet sand...youll end up with a shovel in your hand digging it out.

12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Depends of the salter. My Trynex would be a mess with sand, but my Tornado will throw it fine.

13. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I've seen the western poly's unable to move wet sand as well. Personally, I run all Steel V-Box gas sanders ...3 - 2 yards with 10" ext. sides and a 6 yard. With the 10" extensions on my 2 yard sanders I'm able to carry an extra 3/4 yard....and I'm able to pull it through on the conveyor chain with a gas motor, thats not going to happen with an electric motor.

14. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I'm glad it works for you. The Tornado moves both salt and sand for me without issue. I'm done with the gas engines and all of their issues and mantenance as well as the rust issues on most of the steel hoppers. I'm on my third year with an electric poly and it looks new. Most of the steel gas ones that old look like their 10 yrs old.

15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

what type of electric salter dimmed the lights and caused the heater not to run? was it a dual electric version? i'm running a smith dual electric w/ a conveyor chain and a couple poly electrics w/ an auger instead of a chain, so far they all work good but i prefer the SMITH dual electric. none of these affect the lights ect ,
    steve