1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Diesel???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dreamer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dreamer

dreamer Member

My full time job is sales. I drive about 100 miles a day. I have a lawn care snow removal business that I do after work. I drive a car for work but I use my wives Trailblazer for the lawn care. I am looking to get a truck and put a plow on it. I am considering a diesel but the increased upfront cost and the maintenance cost are pushing me to the gas. I don't have a heavy trailer so the pulling really does not factor in. What would you buy if you were in my shoes?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel. All day, every day.

What are these maintenance costs you speak of?

Wouldn't you want 30+% better mileage towing a trailer and 50% better mileage plowing?

3. bossman22

bossman22 Senior Member

Diesel its just that easy.

4. dreamer

dreamer Member

Isn't it more expensive to maintain a diesel engine? Oil changes and other regular maintenance.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Not really.

But you have to use it a fair amount to justify a diesel.

I am guessing a gas may be better for you.

6. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Sure get a diesel...spend more per gallon....oil changes....turbo's....trannys....injectors....glow plugs.....all maintenance s h i t & never mind when something has to be done.....They have to just about pull the cab off the chassis....

Dont waste your time people on this site think you can only plow with a....4x4 diesel with an automatic & a boss v-plow.....Anything else is just not professional....
    Friggin Turkeys

7. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

Diesel all the way. If you can afford the upfront investment it is worth it. The diesel costs more but look at the trade in value of two identical trucks except one is gas and one is diesel. Also over the first 50,000 miles you make up the extra initial cost and then some in fuel savings. Most definitely worth it.

You might not need it now for your pulling but if you plow you will like it more, diesel is all low end power. Plus if you think you will eventually pull a heavier trailer, or any excavation equipment you'll be glad for the diesel.

8. cretebaby

Your the turkey in this thread.

Running your mouth about something you obviously have no clue about.

9. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

All right numbnuts here we go again....Can you honestly see spending 10grand for a diesel option, especially on these new shi& boxes they get horrible mileage & then all the maintenance that goes along with them.....Again I drive a real truck I'm not a parkin lot cowboy who has a "Big Boy Diesel P/U" & think he's a heavy hauler :laughing:

10. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

He's got it all figured out :laughing:

Yes the diesel costs more for an oil change but you also go twice as long between changes.

11. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We have ford supe dutys v10 gas and 6.0 diesel. I can say they both have there place. We do tow alot and its nice to have the diesel but I enjoy the gas more most of the time. Gas is cheaper the fuel savings is pretty much nothing and the up front cost and so on. I understand the trade in and resale of a diesel but in a horrible truck market that will be around for a while I wouldnt worry about it cause it again isnt of much value. Just ff the little you posted I would start with a gas and if you grow your business then maybe go diesel. The other huge thing about diesel is the ford 6.0 is the biggest POS that has ever found its way into a truck. Of the 7or 8 I am around daily everyone has been in for numerous problems that are not fixed cheap. Ex: EGR, Turbos, Head gaskets, Oil lines Injectors and so on.. I am not knocking diesel or gas it just bothers me when people jump right in and are die hard one or the other or this brand or that.

12. cretebaby

So you're a truck driver?

Diesel option isn't 10k and you shouldn't be fixing any of the items you mentioned before it has paid for itself.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

He drives some like 1972 Tri-Axle R model Mack so he thinks he knows everything there is to know about every diesel ever produced. I honestly don't even know why he's on plowsite. He's 10 times worse than BigDave could ever dream of. Not worth wasting your time in an argument. We've all proved him wrong several times and he keeps going like the d@mn Energizer battery. At least with Dave it was fun and we could all come to an understanding in the end.

14. JDiepstra

As stated, it takes more oil but I go 20,000 miles between changes. The only other regular maint is a $10 fuel filter every 10,000 miles.

15. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

I drove gas all my life and got a diesel the beginning of this year, I love it and won't ever buy another gas unless something changes for the worse. Yes they do both have their pros and cons, but every now and then when I use a gas truck its night and day. When I'm pulling a full trailer with a gas I think to myself "somethings gonna give eventually" when I'm in my truck I feel like "damn, did I hook the trailer up"

That being said if you are going to be doing light towing for a long time and not much plowing you will be better served no matter what you get than you are with a Trailblazer...:)

16. JDiepstra

What are you doing the snow removal with now?

17. JLL25

JLL25 Member
    from Chatham

$10 fuel filter? I don't know what youre driving but my truck is like $100 for the filter, its every 15k I think.

18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've had plenty of gas & 1 diesel. IMO, if your not pulling a heavy trailer on a regular basis, I'd skip the diesel. As a matter of fact, if I didn't pull a 8-10K pound trailer 12-15K miles a year, I'd get rid of the diesel.

I've done the actual, honest math on gas vs. deisel in my own business over five years of ownership. The gas trucks have been far cheaper to operate. If someone tells you you can't push snow or pull a lawnmower or 2 with a gas truck, they're ignorant.

19. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

realy? wouldent going 20000 miles plowing with out an oil change be a little extreme, i go 6000. but i drive a diesel, and they are great for towing, and for plowing (so far) unforently i cant compare because this is my first truck. IMO get a diesel

20. cretebaby

Changing your oil @ 6k is a waste of money IMO.

Ain't it past your bedtime?