1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Or Diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by purpleranger519, Nov 23, 2008.

1. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Looking at buying a 2009 Chevy 3500HD CC. Some input on issues anyone has had with engines or input would would be appreciated.

2. TEX

TEX Senior Member

I will get a bucket for the worms...........

diesel all the way with the list of trucks you have id say u know the biz. oh course the new diesel will have all the emissions crap on it and get even worse fuel mileage than the other 6.6 Dmax. the dmax is a good engine i just dont like the IFS and low front end.

3. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I've heard the mileage is terrible.

4. TEX

TEX Senior Member

the MPG on all 3 is very bad with ford being the worst

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If you can afford the diesel, its all around better if you plan on working the truck hard and keeping it for awhile. Otherwise, gas will be sufficient.

6. JerryLee

JerryLee Junior Member

ive had problems with the four wheel drive in the 05's

7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

My old mans 08 da cc drw Was getting 18 to 20 with summer fuel now like 16 to 18. I guess u think thats very bad???????? :dizzy:

8. TEX

TEX Senior Member

in general compared to the non DPF/ EPA emission stuff trucks the mileage is not as good

9. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I'd have to see it to believe it...I've talked to some guys that have that EXACT same set-up and are only getting anywhere from 8-12mpg. I find it odd that your "dads" truck would get that much better fuel consumption. What aftermarket products are on the truck?

10. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

From what ive seen on thedieselplace the guys said they were doing pretty good on fuel, about the same as the LBZs. Diesel is cheap now so it doesnt matter anymore haha

11. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

diesel diesel diesel thats my vote

12. TEX

TEX Senior Member

dont buy a truck on the current price of fuel........just wait

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

you only live once so drive a truck you like. Yeah diesel will probably be back at $5 bucks a gallon in the spring, I hope not though

14. High Voltage

High Voltage Member
    from MI

Diesel is my vote. I get anywhere from 13 to 18 MPG. That's just driving the thing to towing my enclosed trailer.

15. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

My 07.5 LMM dmax is getting 14-16 towing my 4500# trailer around town. I got 19.2 on a 700+ mile trip this summer withcruse set at 74mph. Truck is stock.. I wish it didnd have the DPF stuff, but I'm too chicken to void the warrenty by removing stuff.........ussmileyflag

16. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

now is a good time to buy fuel....our town is buying 30,000 gal next week....most farmers are too if i were to bet....gas here is only $1.40

17. purpleranger519

from Kansas

Yeah, I'm going to fill my tank at the shop this week. I havent called to see what my price is yet, but I paid $1.34 yesterday at the service station. My fuel supplier is usually 4-5 cent s cheaper.

18. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

My LMM gets around 15 mpg with alot of stop and go and almost 18-20mpg on the highway. I had a gas loaner a couple days ago when they were reflashing the ecu and the power isn't close to a diesel and the mpg was worse.

19. brad96z28

No aftermarket parts. His miledge is better then my 04 lly. I have an edge module on mine that makes no difference on the miledge. If u get ur truck reflashed at the dealer u will end up with terrible miledge.

20. brad96z28

Good luck with the reflash I promise u ur miledge is gona go WAY DOWN.