1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas or diesel?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snowplower82, Oct 27, 2008.

1. snowplower82

snowplower82 Junior Member

was thinking about buying a used F 250 anyone have experience with the mileage with both?
    My options were the 5.4gas compare to the 6.0 diesel I know the diesel gets better mileage, but how much better? they re also more money:)
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what year??
  3. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

6.0 ? Do they come with spare head gaskets in the glovebox? I wouldnt buy one. A 7.3 Is a good motor. 5.4 Is a good motor Slightly underpowered But no problem pushing snow.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  4. snowplower82

probally 03 to 05
  5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I would say diesel and would rate the engines as follows: Dodge, Chevy, Ford.
  6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

the OP was asking about a F250 not about dodges and chevys
  7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

if you want a ford that bad, buy a v-10. better then the 6.0 and the 5.4. if you want a real truck buy a chevy. better engines and you dont need to carry headgaskets in the glove box
  8. brad96z28

I did not forget about the v10 But I thought he had the mention of fuel miledge somewhere:eek:
  9. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Ok maybe we should have welder in Chevy for frame.:rolleyes:

V8 5.4L with 4.10 gear ratio is better than 3.73

For diesel 6.0L avoid 2003 and 2004 it worst. But if you really want diesel so I say 7.3L but you could have lucky to keep 6.0L run no problem.

V10 would be great but lot people try sell that cheap because gas.
  10. brad96z28

I will take the chevy 20 min fix over the 20 hrs cab removal ford headgasket fix thanks.
  11. JDiepstra

Wow thanks for the insight. What I was trying to say was get a diesel, and that Ford uses crappy diesels. From his second post he said "probably 03 to 05" so it sounds like there is still time to not get a 6.0h no!.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  12. snowplower82

thanks everyone for all the input, but does anyone have any real input on the mileage? thats really what i want to know
  13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You will not go wrong with a diesel. Fords probably get the worst of the big 3, but diesel vs gas is better no matter what...............especially working. That's what you want to consider. Let's just say you are getting 15mpg's, conservatively. Start pushing with a 5.4 and it will literally drop to like 5mpg. A diesel will be more like 12. Yes, everybody will jump in and say theirs gets 25mpg, yada yada. Yes, 20's is possible, but empty, with an economy tune, and over the road. My 03 Dmax averages 16.5-17.8. Always loaded with a service bed and a trailer half the time. Empty it would probably see 22+ over the road. Between my Dmaxes, they've mostly been within about that. I've just been calculating the 03 the most lately. An 04 F350 Reg cab SRW 6.0 of mine(well, just sold now) just calculated about 14 over the road, pulling a small boat 1 way. Ok, but not great.

With a diesel, I never bat an eye heading out with a half a tank or less to push for an evening. Nothing I would have ever considered when plowing with gas trucks!!!
  14. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my 05 6.0 ford diesel f350 gets anywhere from 13-16 empty and around 11-13 towing around 8,000lbs (i know it can tow more just havent yet)
  15. brad96z28

getting 16-17 with the d max empty, half city half highway .
  16. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

my 2001 crew cab SRW f-350 gets 18 unloaded highway and about 16 towing 5k lbs. no mods just barley broken in with 178,000. the 7.3 is an awsome engine. i also have the 6spd. not sure if that makes much of a difference from the automatics as far as milage goes
  17. JDiepstra

Diesel will always get better mpg's than gas, especially if you are working it.
  18. TEX

TEX Senior Member

look at it this way. the 5.4 is cheaper but you will work the piss out of it pushin snow. the 6.0 has had its probs no dought but still a diesel makes a better work truck in my mind.

if your just doin your house and a few others get the gas but if you ever want the truck to work get a diesel and dont look back.
  19. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

My 04 6.0 gets 19 over the road with a stock tune. Ive yet to plow with mine personally, but Ive plowed a looooonnnggg time with a single tank of fuel, whether it be 7.3 or 6.0. I wouldn't dream of plowing with anything other than a diesel, ford, dodge, or chevy.

Everyone's information and most of the opinions in this threat are right on, except for the guy that said Fords are crappy. :nono:

20. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i vote diesel, i, like most guys that have gas trucks, wish i had a diesel