1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Or Diesel??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by FTGUprprtyMaint, Apr 12, 2008.

1. FTGUprprtyMaint

FTGUprprtyMaint Member

So heres my question, I'm looking to buy a new truck, not brand new but newer then my 03 dodge and I'm trying to decide between gas or diesel. Only concern for the diesel is its already $4.28 a gallon where i am at while gas is still around $3.30. Any thoughts???

2. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

Here's a few factors to consider:

What will you use the truck for? Towing? Commute? etc?

Mileage will be better with the diesel. From your numbers above, diesel is 23% higher than gas. My 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD gets about 18mpg average all-around. The same truck with a gas motor (v8) would probably get about 14mpg all-around... Basically, breaking even. If you are towing, forget it w/ the gas motor... I get about 12mpg towing a 12,000lb trailer. The gas truck would get about 6mpg...

Diesels last longer... will you be keeping the truck, or trading every 75,000 miles?

For me, I have to have a diesel b/c of my line of work (I tow heavy equipment from jobsite to jobsite), and I live in the mountains out in the country (pulling hills and great mileage from mostly highway driving...) I also plan to drive it til the wheels fall off...

As far as initial cost, I got lucky, I paid about $33,000 for my truck that had a sticker of $45,000...

my $.02

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with TL it depends on what you do with the truck we pull 10,000lbs everyday so the diesel was the only way to go had a gas it got about 5mpg where my diesel gets 10-12mpg

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Diesel truck if you can afford it gas truck if you cant its that simple. If you do a search there is a ton of threads on this very subject.

5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree lots of info here. I would go with Diesel