1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas or diesel???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jgsxr750, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

i currently have an 05' 1500 crew cab and was thinking of getting a 2500hd crewcab and was wondering if i should get gas or diesel. i plow and i tow a 4 sled snow mobile trailer during the winter. but every day driving i commute about 100 miles a day and didin't know which will givee me the best mpg between the two trucks. i know both will handle the plowing and towing that i due but it's going to be about the mpg's that makes or brakes the decision. pleasse help me?:jester:

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy the diesel,if you can afford it and if you can't, buy the 6L. Both great motors IMO. You'll get another 3-4 mpg with the D-Max.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Honestly you have to run 55-60 MPH to get great mileage on a diesel. I get over 21 but highway and drive like a old fart.. and when I play, I pay 17-18 MPG

I love mine and would trade it for anything. But 100 miles a day commute.. buy a second small used car and save you new truck for enjoyment and plowing..
    O yeah... that's the same for most of us!

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Lets see, I get better fuel millage than any gasser I've ever owned, I can tow more effeceintly: Same truck in a gas, hauling a skiddy got 9mph highway. I pulled same trailer with same skiddy. I averaged 16. And plowing snow in fuel alone- 4 to 1. A EXACT MATCH gas truck that I was plowing right along side with last season filled up 4 times in 28 hours of plowing, me at the 4th stop they made, I filled up. The truck ran 28hrs with needing fuel. I have plowed. towed, beaten on gas trucks before..... I am never going back.

5. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

I too had a 05 crew cab 1500 Chevy - traded in (up) to a DIESEL - best decision I made.
    You'll get many more years of durability - can't go wrong with a DURAMAX !:)

Go to this site - http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php?
    and read a lot !

Good luck - let us know what you do & post pics xysport

6. Philbilly2

You want a pic, here is my d-max pulling a combine off a fire last nite..... HOW BOUT THAT FOR TORQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

005.JPG

7. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Why did you drive a combine over a fire, next time just go around it..... :)

8. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

if your that worried about gas mileage consider buying a small car. honestly. lots of trucks are sitting in driveways now while the owners are driving compact cars for commute

9. Philbilly2

I pulled it off the fire, not over. Some dummy parked it there:D LOL

And the compact car thing, I drive a 1988 $600 2-wheel drive stick shift S-10 to work. Best money spent to save money.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Are you looking to save money or use less fuel ?
    If your looking to save alot of money, good luck with the diesel. Remember same trucks with a different motor have a 6K plus difference in price. The price of diesel now is 25 to 35 cents more a gallon. Diesel will go up an additional 10 cents for winter blend, and fuel heating oil reflects the price as well. So if the east coast is cold this winter plan on an additional 10 cents more per gallon.
    Ask an accountant to tell you what is cheaper over the long haul. It will take about 3 years to see any savings from the diesel truck, and that would be at around 20,000 miles a year ! If you dont hang on to you rtrucks for at least 5 years, its hard to justify the cost. If you tow heavy daily, or plow 30 plus events a season you will recover alot quicker.
    If you lease a truck a diesel would be really foolish, as you never recover your up front cost for the diesel.
    Most guys buy a diesel because they want one, and fool them selves into believing there going to save millions :nod: Thats what I did LOL.
    Oh and on a side not- Most guys also like to embellish about there diesel MPG's as well. I have not scene an overhead in a GM, Ford, Dodge that was correct. They all error on the high side :nod: Hand calculated is a true test. An HONEST assessment of improved economy for diesel pickup is about 20% across the board. There are allways exceptions to the rule, but if your running numbers use 20%.
    I know I will catch hell for saying that but that is real world experience.
    Also a few guys mentioned getting over 20 mpg. It can be done if you drive at 65 mph all the time non stop on the highway. Other wise it will be closer to 18, so if you rdriving a gas truck that gets 15, and pay 20% more for fuel that savings is pennys per tank, if your lucky.Then add the power service (every tank) and now diesel just cost you more then your gasser.
    Also the maintenance costs on all new diesels (07) and up will be higher as well, you will need an exhaust scrubber every couple years as well. Just more money you wont save :rolleyes:

11. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Generally speaking you can do better with a diesel. 07's do have the exhaust filter that is expensive, however I hear they're working on a reman program for them. It's like a 150,000 mile thing. I hear with a bully dog, you can squeeze a couple more MPGs too!

12. T-MAN

How can they Reman parts they dont have yet ? I wound plan on the re-man part for the second time maybe. The chips usually dont help a whole lot either, they will fool the piss out of the overhead though.

The higher fuel mileage of diesel pickups is a thing of the past. All the new diesel trucks get far less fuel economy compared to the earlier trucks. What Im stating is the fuel economy just keeps getting worse for diesel pickups. Ask any 08 diesel pickup owner how there mileage is ? Th eDuramax was best in 03 04 for fuel mileage. The Dodge and Fords were much better 95 till about 01. Alot of the diesels now are lucky to see 16mpg on the highway, again there are allways exceptions to the rule. The 20mpg's all day long, highway, towing, city is BS anyway for 99% of the trucks on the road. Realistic is 12mpg towing, 15-16 city, and 17-18 highway if you dont have your foot to the floor.
    The overheads do not give you "TRUE" mpg's, they dont calculate how many miles, and how much fuel was burned. They are the computers best guess at how efficent the motor is running. So again when a guy says 20 mpg highway, that may just be the overhead.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The upfront cost is a problem, but we keep our trucks for 10 years. Mpg is better with a diesel. The best I've ever gotten with my 02 is 21 mpg and the best so far with my 07 is 19 mpg. Around town is 12 to 17. It really depends how you drive. The new trucks have lots of power and if you use the power your going to use more fuel. Generally you pull a trailer faster with a diesel which uses more fuel. The 6L is a great motor but the diesel is nicer to drive.

14. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

thanks for all your help. lot of food for thought to make this decision. i will be test driving some truck this week and talking to the dealers and working some numbers. i will keep everyone posted with my decision. i would really like the desiel for the plowing and towing but that up front $ is killing me. the mpg is a small concern because i really need the 2500 over my 1500. i love the 1500 but just out growing the truck, need more HD and power for the payload i load in it.:drinkup:

15. Snowbrdr360

Snowbrdr360 Senior Member

I had the exact same truck (05 1500 crew cab) and traded it off this past winter for my current truck, 2006 2500HD duramax, it was a leftover and still brand new! I love my diesel and will never go back!

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Roll The Dice!!

Yep sometimes diesel can save you lots of money, but in the long run the gassers are the way to go. Unless you are hauling 15000lbs or more. For those who have puchased new or used diesel trucks have any idea about the cost of injector pumps or injectors. Ya some are covered under warentee but not forever.

Long storey short, your fuel savings 6out of 10 times will go back into repairs. Just wait a few years untill that bad boy breaks, the same truck you are praising now you will be swearing at it:realmad: . To be honest if you are not putting at least 50000miles a year on a diesel truck you are wating your money.

good luck

DAFF

17. Philbilly2

That's Enough

Not jumping anyones a$$ here. Although you have stated very good facts, I can give you some from the other side of the circle. Those who are not gas lovers. I agree with the save money/ use less fuel question. Yes, you will save money at the start buying a gas truck. No you will not save in fuel economy-- NO MATTER WHAT. In town or out. If you compare two identally matched trucks, the diesel is better in every way...except the montly payment. Diesel is 4 cents cheaper in my town right now... not that that really matters in this topic. To get back on subjuct. If you are talking about stock diesel pickup fuel economy numbers, the same gas truck is not too far off, but still behind. I have compared my bone stock o3 D-max to my old bone stock 03 6.0 Chevy gas. My stock # "hand calcuated" was 17.2 mpg. This is mostly highway speeds because we don't really have more that a slow down in the towns out here. My 6.0 gas was doing only 11ish. And I say "ish" to give it the benifit of the doubt on the fact that i don't own this truck anymore, so I cannot give you an exact run with the exact same conditions.
    Now, on with the show. I have become very involed in the world of diesel motors now, and am currently running a mid 400hp truck that "hand calcuated" will do on a consistant basis, 20-23mpg. Believe it. The way that this is done is through simple horsepower, and total burn of the fuel. I am currently running 2 proformance chips in my truck. By incerasing the horsepower, it takes less fuel burn to get up to the speed you would like to achive. Once at that speed, holding that speed is found easy. Very little pedal will give you the power to hold that speed and in turn, keep your RPM's at a low rate while crusing. Thus, burning less fuel for more total MPG's.

And on another note- Gassers are the way to go in the long run :nono: How come when ever you see a gas truck with 100,000 miles on it, it isn't worth it's weight in scrap... but a diesel, 100,000 miles on a motor is nothing, it just got broken in 50,000 ago. A diesel will outlast a gas motor hands down. A diesel truck, will get you back when you go to trade it in.

And I do agree with the statement of most diesel drivers drive diesels because they want one... I did, I got one... and I don't have to prove to anyone that my truck is better than a gas truck...the numbers do the talking.

18. T-MAN

What have you spent for your performance up grades ? What have you spent on your trans to handle the upgrades ? It all adds up. You can take a 12 valve Cummins and get 28 on the highway. But most guys wont mod there trucks do to warranty issues. The new trucks 07-08 will never turn the numbers the old trucks do, emmisions dont help economy.
    If your paying 4 cents less for diesel consider yourself lucky. That wont last. I paid 3.25 for diesel today, unleaded was 2.79 :gunsfiring:
    If your a bean counter diesel allways looses, thats fact not fiction.Especially today with the 7-8 thousand up front cost, and lower economy. The newer gas trucks get better mileage as well. If you buy gas trucks you role em over at 75000 and you wont loose your ass.
    The debate about gas verse's diesel will never end, truth is a gas truck is more economical.
    Do I like my diesel yes, have I saved any money NO !

19. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

as stated in previous posts i used to drive box trucks over the road. stayed in hotel rooms on and off for overnights. i love the sound of a diesel. (almost a lullabye put you to sleep if your not careful)i love the drive of a diesel. i learned to have a certain amount of faith in them.
    i would buy one just because i like them. i couldnt really justify it beyond that. the parts arent cheap and unlike a gas truck you can drive off the lot and just change the oil until a hundred thousand miles diesels require more maintenance.. they arent infallible they do break. most still have a certain amount of diesel lag on the throttle. the upfront cost is excessive. the mileage gains have deteriorated. and i remember a few times in very low temperatures that i started them and thought the engine was going to spit a crankshaft out on the tar it ran so rough.
    i would still buy one. not because its a cost savings measure though.
    keep in mind even if the engine is running at two hundred thousand miles it doesnt mean the truck hasnt fallen apart around it. and gas motors these days are able to run for many many more miles than they did fifteen or twenty years ago.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I will agree that maintenance costs are more. Oil changes and fuel filters when done at the dealer will scare you. That is why we do all our own maintenace. At the end of it all if I break even I will be happy. BTW the DPF is a PITA, it will be gone soon.