1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Diesel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lazer, Sep 26, 2000.

1. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

I know this question's been asked before, and I gotta clue as to your responses, but here goes.

I already got a new '01 550 7.3 Stroker almost set-up for this winter season.

1.) I want a new truck for myself.
    2.) I've ALWAYS plowed in low-range.
    3.) This would be my plow personal truck: '01 F350 SuperCab 142" WB

Gas or diesel?

Okay, why diesel?

I won't be able to plow in low, Will I? Will that trans hold together with my driving habits and that things' torque?

[Edited by Lazer on 09-27-2000 at 01:32 AM]
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I like diesel becuse of all the torque and the ability to let them idel for long periods of time.I think that you would be fine I was driving a v10 the other day and it feels strong and i pulled a 5 ton trailer with a full load and did'nt even feel it but gas tank went way down compared to the diesel.
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok, well with a pick up, its a harder call to make. With the 550 its really a no brainer.

I am going all diesel, on my dump trucks, and other heavy duty trucks. However on pickups its a different decision, i base my decisions on truck terriotories.

If the the pick up is going to be all over the state, or just about. I would go with the diesel, however if you do not drive many miles a year a gas would be a better choice.

The millage increases on a diesel, when plowing, towing, ect. Only if this truck is going to take you to the shop everyday, to the pizza store, to bid on a few jobs, the gas is the way to go.

The F 350 supercab, with diesel is able to plow, with out any warranty worries.

I haven't had any trans problems on my 99s yet. I know the old f series diesels and plows just didn't mix. I can't think of any reason why you can't plow in low range, only with the diesel you will rarely need it.

My truck is a diesel, only i log about 30,000 miles a year. In 5 years i have about 150,000 miles on my truck. I used to feed a F 350 with the 5.8, the 7.3 uses a lot less fuel hands down.

There is some info, i hope it helps, the end decision ya kinda have to make yourself. Ya have to weigh the pros and cons, and then decide if you want to spend the 4K for the diesel option, spend the extra for the dual alternators.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Plowing in low range eases the load on the transmission. Theoretically it will increse torque loading on the driveshafts and axles. I say theoretically because the torque load is limited by available traction. As a rule you can generate more than enough torque in high range to break the tires loose. I'm curious, why do you plow in low range? I know it will be easier on the transmission but it makes reverse SO slow.
  5. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

I plow residential largely in short areas. The "dynamic braking" that low-range offers increases my vehicle control and improves route time.

The F350 SuperCab 7.3 actually doesn't have Snow-Prep option available, I has a camper/trailer tow package which my dealer says is all I need.
  6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The last i checked you could get the plow prep package ( i know ya can on the website, go check it out). I am not too familiar with the super cab options. I have mostly regular cabs, and a few crew cabs for long hauls. The extra money between the super and crew is well spent, to have 5 guys ride for a long period of time.

I would buy diesel, if you were planning on turing this into a work truck, in X amount of years.

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 09-27-2000 at 01:34 AM]
  7. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

Well its hard to say i have three plow trucks with 8 foot western plows with wings and i never use low range. I plow over 30 commercial lots 15 with 300 parking spots and the rest with 50-100 and i have never had any problems useing hi range but its your truck so you make the call.
  8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

jbjw, check out the date on this post. Where did you dig this one up?
  9. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

what do mean by that jbjw
  10. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

The date

The date of the thread is 2000. It is 2005 right?

11. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

97 f-350, plowed since new. 351 v8 auto., have never used low range to plow and always have had enough power. fuel economy is not as good but the way gas prices have been lately, it seems to be a wash. also own f350's w/the 7.3 stroker and have been very happy. i think it comes down to application and personal prefrence.
  12. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

Small Jelly

If u gotta a small u know what, buy a diesel, if not get the gas. If ur not putting more than 20000 a year on and getting a new truck every 5 years or less ul be fine. Besides its the same truck in gas or diesel. Same rotors, ball joints, sway bar, and bushings. They all need to be replaced on either truck with the same miles. Now that diesel is more expensive, its another reason not purchase one. Oil changes are also double in cost as well. If ur keeping the truck for a long time(past 5 years), then its not out of the question. But with 0% finacing it is easy to afford a new truck every three to five years.