1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mjmstaff, Jan 30, 2004.

1. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I am looking at buying a new Dodge. What would you suggest I look at? Gas or Diesel? And Why?
  2. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

your first problem is...

...you said 'dodge'. for a work or plow vehicle, get a ford.
    unless the dodge is pre-1990's.

and i would get a diesel ford...you can't beat it...here is a pic of my 2002 diesel with a 9' western plow.

gw truck 1.jpg
  3. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Not sure if it matters but it would be an Ex Cab.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like gas on one hand they have a lot of horsepower and torque
    and i do town driving and plowing i dont tow a trailer if you gonna do more plowing and towing the diesel might be worth it
  5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

here is my 88 dodge...what a plow truck

you cannot kill this thing...

gw truck 2.jpg
  6. PLOWMAN45

the cummins diesel is a straight 6 they use them alot for hauling tankers they are a real good motor
  7. PLOWMAN45

thats when they made em good
  8. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

Right now I have a 95 with a 360 and it has over 250,000 miles and runs like new. My wife is the one that wants me to buy a newer one. The 95 is starting to get some rust and showing it age. I looked at some used one but alot of them are dielels. I plow alot and pull trailers but drive it alot in town as well. I really like the ex cabs for the extra room.
  9. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Diesel... hands down. :nod:
  10. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

I have a 96 dodge diesel and a 01 dodge 360 gas

I hate the gas, it sucks down fuel, both while driving and plowing.

I use the older truck just so I can have my pushing power. You would not believe the amount of power unit you try it. It pulls my 24 foot trailer like it is not there. traction or lack of is the only thing that stops it.

3 basic problems with the diesel

1 can be hard to find a good mechanic- I would take it to a big truck dealer for motor work- not the dealer
    2 can be hard to start in the cold- get a remote start system, it will take 20 min to get heat. I have only had 1 problem starting it in the cold.
    3hard to order food using the drive thru- just turn off the motor.

get the diesel, ford is the better way to go.
  11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

If you're set on getting a Dodge. The cummins engine is top shelf. I would not hesitate to go for the diesel.
  12. MSC

MSC Member

I would definitely say Diesel, I own both.
    The Diesel Dodge uses about half the fuel and has a lot more pushing power than the GMC gas truck.
    Towing, the Dodge has it all over the GMC.
    Before you all start thinking I am a GM basher, think again.
    I have owned over the years about 20 GM's, and I loved them all.
    I was in the market for a new truck and the old GM 6.5 diesel did not seem to have it for what I wanted to do.
    This is just personal opinion here.
    I test drove the Dodge gas, the Dodge diesel, The Ford gas, the Ford diesel.
    I liked the way the Dodge rode, pulled, and drove down the road.
    So I took a chance and Bought it, and for the most part, they are a good truck. In 150,000 miles, all I have had to do to it is routine maintenance, a set of ball joints, and one torque converter.
    I have done other things to it, but this was only because I wanted to.
    Like front springs, steps, headache rack, fuel plate, 4" exhaust.

Here is a pic

Last edited: Jan 31, 2004
  13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Go with a diesel, more money up front but better milege than gas. Diesel usually last longer than a gas engine also. :D :D
  14. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

gas or diesel

I have both in our fleet. I dont think you get a return on money from the diesel. Maintenance is more in diesel, if you service it right. When it requires maintenance you have to pay more as not as many diesel mechanics. The fuel mileage increase does not cover the cost of the engine during the life of the truck.

When it is real cold I plug mine in. With gas truck you just start and go. Diesel requires a warm up time.

My view is everyone should own at least one diesel in life. Makes lots of noise and in OHIO fuel is more expensive than gas.

Cummins Dodge is a good engine. Cummins makes part, Dodge makes part.

I work for Chrysler, brother in law works for ford. Father in law was 30 yrs in truck driving. He could get a Dodge or a Ford at employee price. He is on 4th dodge sence retiring. His trucks dont get cold. He is in FLA now.

15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

If you want power go with the diesel.:nod: However, Skyking is right. They do require more maintenance but it's well worth it in the end. :waving:
  16. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

Diesel all the way. I also own both. The diesel will push much better than the gas. Maintence on the diesel is minimal. Oil changes, air filter etc. I have over 150,000 miles on the deseisl without one major breakdown and we abuse it hard everyday. I've never had a gas last that long. I'll be selling our 2001 chevy gas and be buyting a second diesel either ford or dodge. The ford seemed to have more power but one of my subs has one and has a ton of problems with it.
  17. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

With buying a Dodge what diesel should I look at?
  18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The only one they ever had.

Just wish Dodge would step up to the plate and offer a "real" automatic transmission.
  19. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Diesel > I run mostly diesels and they are the only way to go.
  20. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

TSL, I was told Dodge made a couple of sizes in diesel and I was not sure what one to look at.