1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Diesel???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GMCHD plower, Jan 19, 2011.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I'm helping my uncle look for a one ton dump. We'll be going "havezies" on it, meaning I'll make small payments of as much as I can to him until I've payed my half, then hopefully eventually bought the other half off of him... My question is, should we go gas or diesel? It will mainly be used for hauling horse manure, small loads of rocks, mulch, and eventually grass clippings. Eventually it will do some plowing and sanding too. So? Gas or diesel?

Thanks, David

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

depends on the year. 80s and earliest 90s had 6.2 non-turbos, good on fuel but no power. 93-00 6.5 turbo had better power, 97-00 were better. 00-up duramax has enormous power, but costs a ton to purchase and to maintain.
    5.7 gasser will be just enough to do what you want, and will never let you down. 7.4 gasser will do anything you ask of it, but it likes fuel a lot. around 99-00 the 6.0 gasser replaced the 5.7, reliable and good power but very thirsty. 8.1 is better power for the same fuel than a 6.0.

Doesn't really matter if you buy gas or diesel, as long as you're happy with it. I have one of each, they both work fine. Diesel costs a lot more than gas, which is stupid because it is less refined than gas and it should be cheaper, but they are targeting the trucking industry to raise their profits. Only other reason to avoid a diesel would be if you live at the north pole, they are a little more sensitive to cold than gas. They tend to last longer, motors usually outlast the truck.

just my opinion, Im sure others disagree.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Look for a 2006 or 2007 Duramax with the LBZ version and the 6 speed Allison and you will be in trucking heaven.Take good care of it and it will return the favor in spades.

4. GMCHD plower

Thanks guys, we're looking to spend around 20-23k... Wanna hopefully find something with 30-50k on it so it looks like we'll have to go gas I think.. Would prefer a diesel but figured I'd get you guys opinions..

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you would be fine with a gas truck. Diesel would be more "fun" to drive but if it's not out on the street every day doing something I think a gas truck would be a better choice.

You could probably get a 6.0 Vortec dump truck for 1/3 or more less then a Dmax powered one of the same year. The 8.1s have more power and the Allison trans, but their limited in ability to get parts easily and the little bit of aftermarket support they have is very costly.

If you go older, you could probably pick up a 5.7/7.4/ or 6.5 diesel for all about the same price. The diesels in the older GM's arn't nearly as desired as the Dmax's are now so their cost isn't much greater then a gas truck.

6. tuney443

So then what's the problem? Do a search on the net--Auto trader,Bargain News,Craigslist,other truck marketing sites and I will guarantee you both of your parameters can be met,especially on a 3 yd. dump.

7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Go gas, you can probebly get an 09 or even leftover 2010 if you hunt around in the price range you want. Whereas with a diesel you're lookin at an 05 probably at the latest. Like mark said if takes a lot of driving / hauling / towing to make the diesel worth it and unless that extra $ is burning a hole in your pocket youll never see much of a return on it for what you have planned.

8. GMCHD plower

Thanks so much for the help guys, as of right now I have my sights on an 04 GMC 3500 gas 37k miles,8' mm2 (it won't do much plowing for another couple years, but I would sell or trade this plow for a 9'), and they want 21k .

9. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Hybrid !!!!!!!

10. GMCHD plower

Hey guys how does this sound, 2004 Chevy 3500 D/A 64,000 miles, looks to be in good condition, the guy wants 15k?

11. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

What duramax is in it LB7 or LLY?

12. tuney443

It sounds like what I've tried telling you.After you do a Carfax and it checks out,I would buy it.Check to see if it's a LB7 version,see if the injectors have already been replaced.The originals had problems.If not, there might be a warranty still on them should they fail.Good luck.

13. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

14. mule585

mule585 Member

I've stopped and looked at that truck very nice and clean n could prolly talk the guy down a lil bit I'm more in to the 04.5 n 05 ply dmax n you can't go wrong "ROLLIN COAL"

15. mule585

mule585 Member

*LLY great power

16. damian

damian Senior Member

the out of warranty costs on a duramax or any other modern diesel will criple you.if you can get an extended factory warranty, do it.