1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bigc1301, Mar 3, 2010.

1. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Whats everyones thoughts. Right now i have a 6.0 2004 but looking at getting a new truck soon. More then like a 2010.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

:popcorn: could you be less vague please? What are you doing? Do you tow alot, do you know anything about engines, do you like changing our oil? Can you afford maintence on a diesel?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  3. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Guess i shouldnt drink and post. LOL. I plow and do some towing, Right now I have a 6.0 which until this week have had great luck with. It is extended cab but I want to get a four door. I I hope to soon to more camping and get a camper trailer which I would pull with it. I have been changing my own oil most of the time but everytime or two my machanic looks over everything.(Wish I took diesel tech now). Just havent heard much bout gas motors or havent got to do much resarch on the 6.4 diesel.

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

It all boils down to how much you want to spend. We have 2 6.4's and love the hell out of them(after the emissions stuff fell off) :}
    The 6.4 has way more power than the 2 gas motors but is a lot more money.
    Robert

5. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

The emissions stuff fell off!!!!! I love it!

6. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Besides the emissions falling off have you had any problems with the 6.4? Heard alot with all the 6.0 problems just havent heard much with the 6.4. Hopefully that is a goods thing

7. docsgmc

docsgmc Senior Member

i say go diesel......just not a 6.0........if you are going to work it you'll always do better with the diesel....gas is good for every day driving...but thats for the average joe who is just going to home depot...:nod::nod::nod:

8. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I have a 6.0 and besides brakes and oil I've just had to replace alternator, so you shoulve said some of the 6.0s are good and some are bad,

9. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I have a 6.0 now that is in the shop. May have a egr cooler problem or head gaaket or cracked head. Not sure yet. Until now (6years old) havent had a problem. Was looking at goin to a four door anyhow so once we figure out what we can do might just trade it in. Lookin at my opinons. I loved the 6.0 but round here i was one of the luckyones. The fire station where i am the chief we have put in 6 turbos in one truck plus all kinds of problems with the egr valve. Havent had much dealing with the 6.4. I love the diesel just trying to see what everyone thinks bout the newr ones. Course my budddy keeps telling me to go to Chevy but just DONT see that happening. I love my fords

10. rob_cook2001

I have had 3 6.0's and i loved them, but I do agree the 6.0 had to many problems. We have not hand any problems with our 6.4's. Great trucks, the ride is excellent, a ton of power and very well built. After taking emissions stuff out of the equation I am getting around 18mpg empty and 14 pulling my skid around. The truck makes right at 580hp to the wheels and is the best sounding diesel I have ever owned.
    Robert

11. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

guess taking the emissions stuff off voids the warranty?

12. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

doing any typ of modifaction to a diesiel voids the warrentee. but who care if its a brand new truck, shouldnt have to worry about that if you dont beat the hell out of it to much!

13. rob_cook2001

If they know you took it off. Most guys just bolt the stuff back on, take the programming out and take it in.
    Robert

14. snow man 0311

snow man 0311 Member

almost 290,000 on my 7.3 psd love it every time I plow with it ......