1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Diesel In My Situation?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DieselPower8, Feb 3, 2004.

1. DieselPower8

DieselPower8 Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Alright, well here's the scenario. I need a new truck, my F-150 took it's last breath, and it's time to part with it. I'm looking for an F-250. Now this is where my ? come in. I put at least 2,000 miles on it a month, about half the time it's closer to 3,500. Now I'm looking at 97's and older here. My question is though, which should I go with, a diesel or gas. I do plow, but nothing major, maybe when we get a snow storm I do 20 or 30 drives at the most, and thats typically a situation of "oh we just got like 5 or 6 inches of snow, and I go door to door for about 10 of those and the others are regulars". But I'm debating, I heard that diesels last a lot longer and can take lots more miles. But I've also heard that diesels are more high maintenance and don't drive as well? So can someone help me out here and make some reccomendations for my situation any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel is the way to go for high mileage driving. COnsider this... At 150,000 miles, gas engines are about spent. Diesels, however, will last indefinitely with the proper maintenance.

As for the ride, no difference. MAYBE just a tad louder. Definitely louder while idling in the driveway on a cold day.

MAintenance wise... Expect to add about 30% to your current maintenance bills. A typical oil change in a psd will run about $60.00 at a quick lube. Yes, it is double than a car but it will last you up to 7500 miles instead of 3000 to 5000 miles in a gaser. The mileage will also be the same. Some (myself included) will say you will get better mileage with a diesel. This is especially true when loaded down with cargo or pulling a trailer. Diesel engines create massive torque, thus reducing the fuel consumption. The only major drawbacks are the initial cost of the upgrade to the diesel and when something does go wrong you usually have to take it in to have it repaired. I do all my own diagnostics and repair on my truck. I have 187,000 miles on my psd and will be ready for new injectors and glow plugs within the next 10,000 miles. I will spens about $1,000 on the injecters and glow plugs and install them myself. To have this done in a reputable shop it would cost twice as much.

Plowing with a psd is great. Just a little loud. Make sure to get an additional trans cooler and temp guage if you get the auto trans. The e4od is notorious for big problems. A good rebuild can cost up to $4,000 from Brians Truck Shop. It pushes snow extremely well. The psd's also rarely, if ever, overheat. They typically run cool compared to the D-max and Cummins. Not to say those are crap. THey are all great motors.

The last great benefit to purchasing a psd is there are a lot of cheap upgrades you can do to get extra hp and mileage. I consider myself of a sort of self-appointed PSD guru here. Whatever you want to know about a 7.3 I can tell you.

Good luck in your purchase. If there is anything I can help you with, or anyone here at plowsite, just ask. Also, you can do a search here to find out more about plowing with psd's.

3. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND BUY THE DIESEL ,YOU WON'T REGRET IT . iT ALSO HOLDS IT'S RESALE VALUE MORE THAT A GAS ENGINE TRUCK. I CHANGE MY OWN OIL IT COST AROUND $35.00., GO TO DIESEL STOP .COM AND ASK AROUND.

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I will second what was said before me. I too am very familiar with most brands of diesels. I will never go back to a gasser again and my wife feels the same way. I would recommend going to a 350 in the years you are looking at due to a much better front suspension. FYI 94.5 - 2002 are the years for the 7.3 PSD, prior to a 94.5 the diesel is a Indirect Diesel Injected (IDI). I get about 16mpg city empty, 18+ highway @70-75mph. I have a 96 250 S.C.,8' bed,4X4, auto, 170k miles, I too drive about 25-30k/year. Some other things to consider are banks do not penalize for high mileage on the auto loans on diesels, fuel prices do not fluctuate like gas prices do. I feel maintenance is cheaper than a gasser not more. Most locations do mot do emission tests on diesels. When it comes time to look seriously at a specific truck we can tell you of certain areas to look at on the truck. check out http://pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/_import/pages.prodigy.net/stevebaz/index3.html
    Look under "tips and tricks" scroll down to how to buy a diesel. Very good reading. Also look at www.thedieselstop.com
    It is also a very good site. Good luck

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Without a doubt a diesel is what you need. If you can do your own wrenching on it you can do most, if not all repairs and services. I drive ambulance and the engines in the Fords go on forever. Most of ours have 200k on them and are expected to go to at least 250k-->300k. ( they are very well maintained) Our mechanics told me they have never changed a turbo on one.
    Our supply hauler has like 385k on the first PSD and it just trails a little smoke but runs good.
    When Ford went to diesel only in ambulances our MPG doubled from about 8 to 16 / 18 MPG.
    The only weak point is the transmissions, they are weaker then the old C-6 / 3spd. I have had a few die under me. The mechanics keep a spare rebuilt one on hand at all times.
    We also have 4 -->6 different drivers on each squad a day so different driving styles put different stresses on them.:yow!:

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

My boss has a 5.4 gas in his 03 f 250 and it gets terrible mileage even driving around town unloaded. Go with a diesel. They ride alittle better than a gasser because of the extra weight up front. :D :D