1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas or Diesel engine in Pickup Truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Feb 9, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm starting to seriously look at pickup trucks (I get my license in July) and want to see what your feeling are on the great topic of Gas or Diesel engine in a pickup. I'm looking at getting an '01-'05 Chevy Silverado 2500HD/GMC Sierra 2500HD, long bed, regular cab, 4x4. I have noticed that the Duramax adds almost $5000 to a used truck, and around $6000 with the Dmax/Allison combination. My question is...is it really worth it to go diesel? I would be doing some towing, general landscape work, and plowing (get a plow after college). Also, is plow prep really nessicary to mount a plow?

Thanks in advance,
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

For you, just getting your license, gas. For me, I will always have a DIESEL truck! Cant beat the torque, mileage, etc. :)
  3. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I like diesels myself, but it depends on your use of the truck. Pulling alot yea get the diesel, I got a diesel with 430k on it and its the orginal motor. It was bought brand new and the fuel savings paid for the motor in 13 weeks, but it also had 30,000 miles in that amount of time compared to the same setup with a gas motor. As for the plow prep, if your getting one that will have a warranty, yes you need the plow prep to cover your butt.
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel for me!!
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

What exactly is included in the GM plow prep package, and if there is no MFR warranty left, is it really nessicary?

Does anyone have figures on MPG for the 6.0 gas vs. the 6.6 diesel?
  6. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

It's a toss up really, but I say go gas. Diesels are good, if a majority of the time you are using it you are using it for the capacity it is built for (excessive towing, heavy work loads, etc.). However if you are going to use it as a daily driver also, gas looks a little better in that arena. It's all about personal choice and what all you are going to do with it. Good Luck
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The package includes a larger alternator, bigger battery, heavier front t-bars, and an auxillary light switch for a strobe light,etc. I think the trucks with the plow prep also have the trailering/handling package. I would say it is best to find one with a plow prep, warranty or not. But that is just my opinion. The RPO for the plow prep package is VYU on chevy and gmc's. It will be on the glovebox door. I have a 6.0, it gets 8-10 mpg plowing. Normal day to day driving, 12 city/ 15-17 highway. Some guys will say the 8.1 will get the same mileage as the 6.0 I dont know any mpg figures for the 6.6
  8. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

Isn't the allison transmission the standard on all gm diesel trucks? From what i remember if you get a duramax, you allready have the allison.

JPMAKO Senior Member

We will get together one day and I will show you the differences.
    If you can afford it GO DIESEL. I have had many trucks over the years and done the comparisons.

Diesel cost more up-front.
    Gas cost less up-front but more over time.

The mileage and power is worth every penny IMO.

10. Wiseguyinc

Wiseguyinc Member
    from MN

toss up

I have found the most important thing is to know what kind of maintenance you need to keep your truck running well no matter gas or diesel. The diesel engine will cost a bit more to do general maintenance on than a gas.Filters,oil changes glow plugs,coolant flush,ect.. All cost more.But if you do the scheduled maintenance the diesel will last a long time and take a heavy work load better than the gas set up. It is also important to be able to buy fuel from a station that sells enough to keep their supply fresh. I would assume you have a few places close by that sell diesel to choose from.I like diesel engines for plowing and towing.My 2 cents.
  11. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Gas, done the math every which way because I wanted to justify a diesel.....still running gassers and about to buy another. If you want it and can afford it fine but I have yet to make the numbers work on a pickup, even a dump, my last three one ton dumps have been gas and so is my next one.
  12. MarksLand

MarksLand Junior Member

All we run are Deisels
  13. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I agree with the previous post if you are going to be using it on a daily basis to haul/tow then diesel is the way to go. I used to have a small landscape company 45-50 residential and i subed in the winter well long story short i went o Iraq for a yr sold the business and let my brother borrow my truck (big mistake) he flipped it and i ended up buying another diesel when i got back just for a daily driver big mistake i just sold and went down to a 150 with a 710 blizzard great truck imo one of the smartest decisions i have made. Oil change on the diesel $75.71 on the last recipt that i had for the 150.. $35.26 just think long and hard about what you will mainly be using it for
  14. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Good one. I also don't like the fact diesels are harder than sh#t to start in cold. My gas trucks no problems, but the one diesel I have, man it's a pain to start and now that diesel is more than gas, what's the advantage.?? I have ford v10 and it's got all the torque I'll ever need.

I guess diesel is a must if you're pulling monster trailers which I don't.
  15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

gas I've got an 8.1 gasser with an allison. cant beat it
  16. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

diesel if you can afford it gas if you cant i really wanted a cummins when i bought my truck but settled for a V-10 and its got plenty of power for me. so if you cant afford a diesel go with a big block
  17. Snowman16

Snowman16 Member

I don't know about bigger trucks, but on my little trucks I wish I had bit the bullet and bought diesel:cry:. What I would give for more torque and power wesport , and the sound and smell:D .
  18. rjets00

rjets00 Member

I was also in your situation, but really couldn't afford the diesel at the time, so I went with a new Dodge V10 after paying on it with seems like forever now, of course it is getting high miles on it and every time i'm out at 3 in the morning plowing, salting, or hauling a heavy load I wonder when it will give me trouble. There is alot at stake when you get a your acounts established and the last thing you want to do is to loose them. I hear about all the dependablity guys are getting out of diesels and it makes me with i would have came up with the money for a diesel. Another thing to remeber is how long are you going to keep it? If your plan is to get lots of accounts, you many want another truck and keep your old one for a backup? I would if possible go diesel, I kick myself if the butt all the time for not doing it, And next time I will. Just my opinion though. Good luck with whatever you end up with.
  19. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, if you have the Duramax, you have the Allison Transmission. They go hand in hand. :) You thought right! ;)
  20. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

If you can afford the diesel and like it, go for it. Personally I would just love to have a diesel. But putting the paper to it, theres no way it pays out for me. Here the fuel is 60cents a gallon higher, and if you can get 4mpg better out of a diesel Id be surprised. It takes a long time to pay off the extra 7k plus the extra for fuel. Some people wont own anything but a diesel, Id like to have one, but its just doesnt figure out for me. These guys that buy diesels and trade them off every year or two, can no way be justifying them. The value of a diesel engine is in the long run, not in 2 years or 50k miles.