1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas or deisel

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mowtivated Lawn, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Mowtivated Lawn

Mowtivated Lawn Junior Member
    from Toledo

I currently own 2003 z71 1500 4.8 liter and am looking to buy a possible 250 0r 350 but the question is gas or diesel. I am looking to get into the plowing business and currently am in the lawn care business. My trailer with equipment weighs around five thousand and it is just eating up my 1500, not made for everyday pulling of that. Diesel get better gas mileage but cost more to maintain and am worried about all the start and stopping while from job to job. I think the gas motor may be better for what I do now but suck that they suck down the gas. Thinking about either a hemi or 6.0 vortec, what do you guys think. Anyone drive a 6.0 or hemi 2500 or 3500 and if so what is your average mileage cause pulling my rig in the summer I was getting about 8.5 mpg. Thanks

2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The most important thing is that you are now moving up in payload capacity which is the biggest difference between the 1/2 tons and above

My 6.0 Diesel gets around 18-19 mpg, normal conditions.

My buddies 5.7 Hemi gets around 12-14 mpg, he got a heavy foot though.

The hemi is a strong motor...but is feels wimpy when compared to my 6.0, which has gobs of power...325hp with 560ft lbs of torque stock.

Like you said though, the diesel takes more maintenance, time and such...I have to warm my truck up for a least 5 min everyday before driving it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Enless ur pulling 10 k on a day to say thing get a gasser u jump in fire it up and off u go. In the winter u warm the truck up anyway have u ever tryed to get in a truck thats 0 and go for a ride not fun. My buddy was in ATI and they were working on a farm they were putting new fences in in late fall so they needed some help it was cash so i went. I was the only guy with a gasser. I was the closest bunk to the door i had to make sure the generator stayd running so there trucks would stay warm.

4. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane Junior Member
    from Ontario

for what you are doing I'd say 3/4 and gas. unless you buy a Dodge then get a diesel.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Get a diesel and make it a Dodge 5.9. There is not more maintanance involved in owning a diesel. I change my oil every 20,000 miles, takes what, 20 minutes? Changes the fuel filter every 10,000 miles or so. Takes 10 minutes or less. And I get 15 mpg average during the lawncare months, including towing time. You will also get much better mileage while plowing, while making much more low end power than any gasser can dream of. Also, a Cummins starts better than the other diesels when it is very cold. That's a fact.

6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

dude when it comes to plowing id go with the diesel...i was making a v with mine and a buddies plow he has a diesel i dont and his truck was pushing mine...they have the power do push anything when it comes to snow...i say go big or go home...my next truck is a 1ton diesel

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Definately the diesel. Starting and stoping won't hurt anything, as JDiep said, no more maintenance these days aside from a fuel filter........and of course the Cummins is the only option :rolleyes:. As far as the 6.0 Ford getting 18-19MPG's, don't count on it. Cummins, 7.3 PS, and Dmax on the Highway, sure, even more........6.0 Powerstroke daily driving getting that, now that's a good one!

8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicussmileyflagWe have a Dodge 2500HD with 5.7 Hemi. pulls a trailer in the summer 20ft goose loaded with equipment then in the winter a 8.5 V plow. It can plowon par with any Diesel. It has a 4.10 rear end and 6 speed manual . This idea of only a diesel is just the testostorone talking. I also have 6.5 Diesels and plow with them. The gas job is great cuz ya dont have to worry about the -32 Celsius weather we get.

9. bosman

bosman Senior Member

I have a 2000 chevy 3/4 w/ a 6.0 gas and get anywhere from 6-12mpg depending on how much weight I have on the trailer. In August of 07 I bought a 2007 chevy Duramax and I can almost make my truck payment with the $ I'm saving in gas. I drive over 100 miles every day and the savings are huge. I use to spend 1200-1500$ a month in gas, now I spend 600-800$ in diesel. Last storm, with a plow on the front, ez dumper trailer and bobcat in tow I averaged over 13 mpg. Completely unloaded on the highway I can get over 20 mpg. Yes, diesel is more than gas, but the power of a diesel is unmatched. My buddies hemi is fast, but he says it'll pass everything but a gas station. You'll spend less time at the pump and more time working. Go with a diesel!

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel's are nice. I got one because I found a killer deal. Otherwise I would probably have another gasser. For what you are doing, I'd say a gas 3/4ton would be good. But a Diesel makes a difference for plowing.

11. JDiepstra

Hahahahahahhaha lolololololol trying to compare a hemi or a 6.5 diesel to a 5.9 Cummins is the most laughable thing I have ever heard!

12. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I own both a Dodge hemi and a Chevy DMax, I honestly prefer the diesel to the gas despite the fact it takes 5 minutes longer to warm up...... It destroys the gas in raw power and is substantially better on fuel mileage.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Plug it in and it will be 160* when you start it. ;)

14. Mowtivated Lawn

Mowtivated Lawn Junior Member
    from Toledo

Gas vs Deisel

Thank you gentleman, very much appreciated. It always seemed diesel were made to run and by me shutting them down after a five minutes drive and starting back up in ten it would burn something up. I think I will get a diesel because better have more then not enough and I never know how much my business may grow or may get a job where I need something to tow a house with, lol. Now I just need to get a dealership to pay off my truck for a trade. Now the question who have had problems with theirs and what one should I get. I know everyone will argue but fact please, lol. Think i may get a dmax or cummins because I have heard the newer ford have had problems and my buddies o5 just blew an injector. Plus not to mention I was supposed to go test an 05 out, did a mechanical report, just had four of eight injectors fixed which can get pretty expensive.Thanks again!

15. Fife Lawn&Lane

Fife Lawn&Lane Junior Member
    from Ontario

unfortunately I have to drive a diesel Ford to plow with 06 F350. While I find it has comparable power from 0-15 it falls off quickly after that, and is very noisy/loud.

The Dodge trucks will be more money than a comparable ford/chev but there is good reason for it, Cummins power.

16. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

i have a f-250 6.0L diesel and my boss has a 350 with the 5.4 triton both with 8ft fishers on the front and mine hands down out pushes his truck and thats from my bosses mouth. and thats with a poly spreader on the back half loaded and his truck loaded with tailgate spreader and completly loaded with bagged salt. as far as pulling i can pull way more then him his truck strains with a JD 35z mini track hoe when mine pulls it like theres nothing there as far as hauling is concered i overload my truck big time (4,000lb) of sand salt mix plus 550 for the spreader itself so i get about 10 mpg and his loaded down gets about 11mpg so my opinion get the diesel hey so what u gotta plug it in for what it can do its worth it maintenance is about same as a gasser except i change my oil ever 5-6000 miles it will last longer and be more reliable then any gasser just about if u treat it right

17. JDiepstra

On my Dodge diesel (in sig) the fuel pump failed at 55,000 miles. This was replaced by the dealer, free of charge, including the tow. Covered by warranty. The fuel pump on the 03 - 04.5 trucks are known to be weak, but once they die, they are put in the tank under warranty, and do much better.

Also, at about 60,000 miles I had the front and rear u-joints replaced, also under warranty. Not unexpected for a truck that spends its life towing and plowing.

18. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Not true. We have '01 and '02 chevys with LB7 Duramaxes. When it was -5 with the wind in the grill, they'll start every time without the block heater plugged in. The '02's block heater cord is still zip-tied to the inside of the front fender from the manufacturer. The '01 has 205,000 miles on the original glow plugs.
    The air intake heater on the Cummins work great untill the temp REALLY bottoms out, then you have to have something to get the cylinder wall warmer.

19. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Laughter is good for ya, you have me to thank. Just to clarify Im comparing the plowing abilityof a 5.7 and a 6.5 to the Cummins. I am aware of the great pulling power of a Dodge Cummins combo. Often IT HAPPENS that a newbie will come on a thread ask a question and some of the posts dont reflect the inquiry ,especially the situation the person is describing. So if hes inquiring only about his driveway and a few other small jobs, dont get on the thread suggesting he needs t o spend big bucks and be fully equipped as if he was in the commercial end of it. (And JDiepstra (fellow dutchman) I'm not singling you out in this post, its just that your comment got my attention,ussmileyflagtymusic

20. JDiepstra

Ok whatever but a Cummins, in general, will outstart a Duramax or a Powerstroke, at any equal temperature.