1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Motor to Electric Motor conversion

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kupham6583, Jan 12, 2013.

1. kupham6583

kupham6583 Junior Member

Has anybody done a gas motor to electric motor conversion on a spreader?. I have a Downeaster 1.5 yard stainless salt spreader with a blown b&s motor and would consider electric conversion if its not too complicated. Any websites suggestions would be helpful too. Thanks for your input.

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

No such thing as a gas motor.

3. meborder

meborder Senior Member

lets look 'em, shall we?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/engine

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motor?show=0&t=1358049619

so ... now we know that an engine is just a specific type of motor.

to say electric engine is incorrect
    to say gas motor is not

to the OP ,,,, i am not much help.

If you were to an electric motor capable of 3600 rpm with the same HP rating as the brigs you would be golden. 8 hp, maybe?

1hp = 745watts .... so you need about 6,000 watts. If running at 12volt that's 500 amps .... not real practical (or available). you would need a 240 volt genny @ 25 amps to power that ....

easier to stick with the brigs, i would think .... maybe others know more ....

4. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

You just need a 1 hp eletric motor, wire , relay and a switch. The hard part fabbing a mount for the new "motor" . and seeing if you can reuse the drive chain. If not you need to fab up a new set up to drive the spreader. Not hard at all. But you need to have some okay fabbing skills that all.

5. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

Pictures of the unit in question would help. more the merry and the easier it will be to help you.

6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict