1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TJLC, May 9, 2001.

1. TJLC

TJLC Junior Member

I just bought a 93 Chevy 1500 4.3v6 full size truck with an 8' bed. I pull approx 1700 lbs with it. I checked my gas mileage and it figured out to 13 mpg. Is this about right or should it be higher. If so what should I check to improve it. Thanks for any help.
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Just as a guess, I would think maybe 15 mpg or so for your truck/trailer with the V6 engine. The smaller (4.3 as opposed to 5.0 or 5.7) engine has to work pretty hard to move the full-size truck and trailer around.

One place to see about improving mileage would be a good tune-up - unless you've already done that! How worn the engine is will also be a factor, although one less easily remedied.

I don't have much experience with V6's, but don't feel bad - my old '75 pulls around 8-10 mpg tops. Mind you, trailer or no trailer doesn't seem to make much difference............
  3. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Wow that is pretty low for a 4.3 V-6 I have seen then in a fullsize getting as high as 18 empty, but like 75 said towing with a 4.3 can really suck the gas down. Another thing to check is what gearing you are running the truck may be geared for the interstate especially with overdrive if you d mainly towing in the city you might consider changing it. Other than that a basic tune up should show some improvement (fuel filter, spark plugs, wires, etc) Good luck
    BTW my 5.7 gets oh about 10.5 city 13 interstate