1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas mileage when plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flakesmeangreen, Jan 21, 2002.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

What kind of gas mileage is the norm when plowing? I have a '97 F250 HD/351/extended cab with an 8' Western Pro Plow and around 650 lbs of ballast. During the first storm I got around 5 MPG but I didn't think it was too bad condering we had 7" of wet, heavy snow and I was driving around all night using 4WD. This storm we got 5" of the fluffy stuff & used 2WD a lot on the roads but only got 4MPG at best! I at least expected the same if not better. I average around 11 MPG normally.
  2. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I think i got around 5 mpg this storm with my 94' chevy 3500 with a 350 and an 8' plow. I was in 4 wd most of the time. I usually get betweem 9-11.
  3. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

With all of the money you are making plowing snow, you're counting your mpg????? LOL! Just kidding but there are alot of other numbers I worry about but mpg while plowing is the first time I've heard that one.

Go EAGLES!!!!
  4. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Get yourself a diesel Guy's:D

This last storm, plowed for 13 hrs and got 12 mpg.;)

5. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

dockboy & all you other PSD owners

My next truck IS a PSD, believe me (& a reg. cab)!!!
    Give me lots of snow & maybe I'll get it sooner than expected!
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have both the 6.5 and the powerstroke love them would always get a diesel.Never had a problem starting them in the cold and they run forever.
  7. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I have a new chevy 2500HD with a Fisher V-Plow on it. I get 8.5 mpg while plowing. last week I left the plow on all week even though I didn't have to use it and got 10 mpg. With the plow off I get between 12 and 13 mpg. If the diesel is getting 12 while plowing and I get 8.5 with my gas engine... I really can't see a reason to spend the extra $5000 to get the diesel...
  8. G.Williams

G.Williams Member

Man, I must be the only person who doesn't keep track of it!!!!!

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I kept track for a while but the mileage varied with the amount of snow and the type (wet, dry). Now I know that one tank is enough for 10-15 hrs depending on how much snow and what my route is. For me all my travel is in the city so mileage is'nt great to begin with :rolleyes: .
  10. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting thread - I don't worry much about mileage when plowing (on my old "antique" the speedo doesn't read when going backwards anyway, so the mileage numbers would be off) but I have done a bit of record-keeping to try and determine fuel cost per hour spent plowing.

I come up with an average of around $5.40/ hr - Canadian dollars mind you, what's that work out now, about 50 cents US? :(

To keep it simple, I rounded that up to $5.50/hr average which was mostly pushing time, not much travel time needed between lots.
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm with Rob. I think cost per hour would be a better measure, considering how much I'm traveling in reverse while on-site plowing. Although technically, I'm not plowing snow while in reverse except for backdragging. Then also the between site travel would have to be factored out. I just figure I probably get the equivalent of one mile per gallon while actually shoving snow. Since that would scare me to death, I don't think about it.
  12. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

2000, Dodge Ram excab long bed Diesel 1000# ballast with 8'2" Boss V 13.5 MPG... I think it is better to look at it by the hour though.
  13. 2001 F-350 Reg cab PSD, 9'2" Boss Poly V, 2000# of ballast.
    12mpg plowing
    I normally get 17.5 around town and a little better on the Hwy.
  14. MusGuy

MusGuy Member

I have a 85 ford with a 351 and I get great gas mileage.... I went out with a half of tank went 9 hours and still had enough to get home..... empty when I got there but did it...
  15. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

2000 F 250 HD gasser. out for 12 hours burned less than 1/2 a tank. Seems like mine does better when I'm plowing. I get 10 around town. I do all res and I have some running around, but the truck runs all night! :confused: Go figure.

16. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

MPG or HPG?

I don't rightly care about miles per gallon. Why should you? I'm more concerned about hours per gallon. All I know is my truck plowed for 11 hours straight the other night and I did not use a full tank of gas. Tank holds 36 gallons. I may have used 25, Maybe. Diesel is the way to go!
  17. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Lets see...$2000+ per storm in receivables, $25 worth of gas...who cares what the mileage is :rolleyes:
  18. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes Member

I dont track it either.
  19. Plumberguy

Plumberguy Junior Member

It may seem like alot to spend the money for a diesel but rest assured whatever you don't make up in mileage you will in resale. Diesel trucks bring good money
  20. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I don't really worry about fuel mileage. When the white stuff flys, I count the green stuff coming in..... In all reality, all my quick marts and residentails are about a total of 15 miles apart. So, for an average storm I put in a 10 spot for the hog Ford.....

Chief Plow