1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas milage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bossplowguy, Dec 10, 2010.

1. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Ok, some of you guys will probablu laugh...and thats ok. Here is my question, those of you with gas one tons what do you get for fuel milage while plowing? The only real reason I ask is if I buy another new truck I just may go with a gas if the milage is comparable. That diesel motor is 8k plus the cost of the diesel exhaust fluid.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Not sure if it matters with one tons or built up 2500's.

Loaded with 2 yds of salt, 35 gallons of liquid and plow hanging on the front in my 6.o Chevy I am getting about 8 MPG. on the road.

Full tank of gas (25 gal) got me 89.6 miles last weekend plowing. 22.5 gallons to fill it back up.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

It doesn't seem as bad if you figure GPH, MPG will suck. Like Reapers truck got 4mpg but probably burned 4gph. If you figure it out it's not too bad if he was running down the road at 60mph that would be 15mpg, follow me?
  4. bossplowguy

Very true. I have a buddy with a 3/4 ton 350 gas that gets around 4mpg. I guess I really shouldn't complain then. My one ton weighs 11k with the spreader on and no plow. Then add 4-5 ton of salt and my vee plow. I am getting 7.5-8. So thats not too bad then
  5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

The gas truck in my sig gets around 4-5 mpgs while plowing the exact route that either of the two diesel engines get around 11 or 12 WITH a sander in the back when the gas does not have a sander in the back.

I personally would not get a gas engine, from everything i have seen, heard, and read, you CANNOT beat the new 6.7 diesel engine. Yeah it is 8 grand, but if you plan on keeping the truck it is completely worth it. they are amazing and average even better gas mileage than the 7.3's. a guy i know with it gets around 22 mpgs driving around and he has a lead foot. They also have the best reliability out of any of the diesel engines ever put in fords or chevys or dodges. according to consumer reports, it is the most overwhelmingly positively reviewed diesel engine.
  6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

and as as far as the exhaust fluid, you only end up using like 2.5 gallons per 5 thousand miles according to the guy i know that drives one.
  7. bossplowguy

mine has a 8 gallon tank. truck has 2,000 miles on it and it's at about 42%
  8. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

On Tuesday I went 8 miles on 0 gallons...but its never good for your pride to be towed
  9. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Alright, this automatically makes anything else you say on the topic irrelevant. We're going to trust Consumer Reports, the same people who said the 250 was one of the most unsafe vehicles on the road today, to rate an engine that hasn't even been out for a year. Good thinking!
  10. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

OP, the sad state of affairs today is the fact that unless you are doing heavy hauling for many thousands of miles, the cost will never pay for itself. By the time you factor in maintenance, DEF, and any possible repairs, you will have to have had driven the truck for 200,000 miles or more.

You can thank the EPA and the Fed for this.
  11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Pinky Demon, I can see where youre coming from but honestly, it wouldnt take as long as you think to pay back the difference. it is slightly under 8K for the option, but if you think about it, with the two gas engine superduties we have had, we get around 11mpg out of them. I get 20 out of both my 7.3's. The 6.7 has been known to get between 20-22 mpgs.

Say you drive 25K a year, not uncommon for business owners, for a gas engine that is 25000miles/11mpg= 2272.72 gallons a year. Gas right now is 3 dollars a gallon so that is 6818.18 dollars a year.

Say that you drive the same distance with a diesel engine and get 21 mpgs, that is under what the truck is capable of. so that would be 25000/21= 1190.47 gallons a year. Diesel around here is 3.11 a gallon right now, eleven cents more than gasoline. that would put your yearly fuel bill at 3702.38.payup

So each year you will be saving 3115.8 dollars in fuel. That is more than worth all the benefits of the diesel engine in my book.

Also, if you tow anything, there is absolutely no way the gas will tow as well as the diesel engine IMO

And as far as the consumer reports, I also do not agree with them on a lot of things. I have also read other places about this engine.. Do a google search, there is practically no bad news about it, only positive, and many places are commenting how this is the first engine out of the gates ford has produced without major immediate problems. Unlike the 6.0 or the 6.4 which were horrible at first.
    Yes pinky demon you are right that they cannot predict long time reliability, but go on "thedieselstop.com and you can read about the hundreds of users who have this engine and say that it is the best thing ever made
  12. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

2011 F350 4x4 single cab 6.2 gas. Blizzard 8611LP, Buyers TGS05 Salter, 2800lbs material and some shovels and spreader. MPG right now is around 9mpg. Hours spent plowing though, it's a tough guesstimate. Alot of time is spent idling while filling the salter, shoveling, spreading salt, etc. A typical event for that truck plows around 8 acres in 7hrs and I use 1/4 tank which is around 7-8 gallons. That includes drive time, plowing, idling, back to the shop, etc. I'd be curious the next event to calculate it for sure but it appears that my truck is somewhere around 1-1.5 gallons per hour. I think that's a better estimate of fuel economy than MPG.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering about the 8611 plow. We had our first good amount of snowfall being about 8" the other day on a 60k sq. ft. lot w/ 6 islands. Plow time was 50min. Total time on sight plow, salt, shovel walks (250ft) was 1hr 20min.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  13. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

But here is the problem with your math. A., a 99-03 7.3L will do 20 MPG at it's VERY best, not everyday. A 6.7L is too new to fairly calculate. But, once you start with maintenance costs, it will not pay off. 15 quart oil changes, 3 fuel filters, DEF fluid, etc, etc, it just won't pay for itself. And lets not even start with repairs after the 100k warranty is up.

Yes, you will save fuel, yes you will have more power, but all together, it will not pay for itself, period.
  14. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

keep preaching brother these gas hogs dont understand us diesel heads takes 2 years to pay back the diesel option after that your making profit so for 15 cents more a gallon everyone should want a extra 10 mpg and around here the truck bodys will rust out before the engine goes bad got a psd 7.3 with 272k and another with 263k still running like a champ
  15. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

pinky you save 3100 dollars a year on fuel trust me that will cover your maint.plus a 99-03 gas truck you will be lucky to get 9 mpg
  16. bossplowguy

Well, I have ALWAYS had diesels. My duramax dump gets 14 at best, my old international gets about 10, and my 2011 dodge gets 10-12 and as low as 7. I guess it isnt broke in, but at those numbers i am pissin money right out the window i think. Yes I have plenty of power, but with all the emissions crap i don't know if I would do a diesel again....
  17. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Exactly. Gas engines simply do not last as long. No where near as long..

Bossplowguy, I don't really understand why you get such bad mileage but maybe there is something wrong with them? Or is that mileage while working and towing stuff? Because if so, then youll be getting around 5-6 with a gas truck doing the same thing..
    Diesel fuel itself just has more energy in it, so it definitely gets more per gallon.

Right now I am reading a write up on Pickuptrucks.com about the new engine and they said:

"Our last driving exercise was a fuel-efficiency challenge. While some on the trip miled their diesels at over 28 mpg, we drove 70 miles back to Phoenix on rural roads and the Interstate 10 freeway near the speed limit or keeping up with traffic. The diesel didn't shrug a bit with 1,000 pounds of concrete in its bed while returning an excellent 22 mpg."

I dont know about you, but thats pretty damn good in my book. I think it makes up for adding a couple extra quarts of oil.

I know my old man priced out payments and with the difference between a brand new gas engine and a brand new diesel engine, and the amount of money he will be saving per month on fuel will pay for the difference in the payment amount.

By the way, Im not getting angry or short with anyone, i love debates like this :nod:
  18. bossplowguy

Very true, i guess the other thing that backs up your statement on longjevity is we had 2 chevys at work, both with under 100k that shelled motors! They were gas too...
  19. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

We have five diesel trucks. 3 duramax, 1 '11 cummins, and 1 '10 powerstroke. They all doing a great job while plowing but if you think you're going to get 20 miles per gallon driving, even in the middle of June you're sorely mistaken. Whatever you do, do not bank on more than 14-16. Best I've EVER gotten in any of them was 18.5
  20. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I am not sorely mistaken. I DO get 20 mpg most of the time. Your problem is the ford that you have has the 6.4. Worst diesel engine ford puts in these trucks for gas mileage, they suck for that. Im not sure about this so i probably shouldnt even say it, but I have heard that the duramax engines arent known to get great gas mileage anyway. Not sure why you dont get more with the 2011 dodge. If it was a 2011 ford 6.7 you WOULD get 20 or more unless you drive full throttle or no throttle.