1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Milage Plowing with Your Jeep

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by whitelite, Nov 24, 2010.

1. whitelite

whitelite Member

Haven't plowed with my Cherokee yet---Was wondering what kind of fuel milage most were getting on an average type storm.

My Dodge Ram Diesel gets about 21MPG Hwy and 6-8 plowing. Our 92 Wrangler gets 15-16- hwy and about 8 plowing.

The Cherokee got 27 Hwy on recent pheasant hunting trip, so kind of interested what everyone else is getting if they keep track?

2. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

I get less than 12 when plowing with my 4 cyl Wrangler. It is all forward, stop, reverse with not much forward progress.

3. whitelite

whitelite Member

Our 92 Wrangler is a 6 cyl with 4:11 gears. What did you mean by
    "stop, reverse with not much forward progress"---sorry I didn't understant?

4. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

What I mean is that I can plow in a small area for quite a while, and never get much forward progress (miles). I might spend half an hour, and not go a mile. This hurts the fuel consumption.

5. whitelite

whitelite Member

Yep, kind of thought that might be it--thanks

6. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I probably get 10-12 mpg while plowing with my XJ. Remember, you are always accelerating, whether in drive or reverse, when plowing...the worse-case conditions for good gas mileage.

Fran

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I think the work of pushing the weight of snow is worse than acceleration. I get ~ 4 MPG when plowing.

8. wj4play

wj4play Member

my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee get 9mpg with my 7'6" Pro Guard Western Plow hooked up. Last Year I drove the entire winter with it hooked up lol

[​IMG]

9. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Wow, I can't hardly believe your 99 can handle that plow w/o causing a lot of front end wear. Looks cool tho..

MLG

10. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Not sure if it ok.

95 F250 get 7-8 mpg plow that with 5.8L so I see diesel get 7 mpg that pretty bad.

I was look at jeep with 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders but concerned about 4 cylinders life expectancy

11. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

Many, many 4 cyls run for 1000s of miles

12. wj4play

wj4play Member

Thanks

I NEVER said anything about wear lol, I replace stuff as it wears out with moog HD front end parts. The factory TRW tre junk only lasted one season, the moog stuff has lasted about 2-3 years. 175,000 on the dial and only wore through one set of axles, front drive shaft and a set of wheel bearing. 2'' lift with front/rear air shocks. 265/75/16 revos. I upped them to 285/75/16 revos this summer, this winter it might be a big pooch on skii's lol

Oh yea, I only get about 9mpg with the plow on the jeep. 3.73:1 gearing

13. wj4play

wj4play Member

How do you like the Boss 7.5 V with the Jeep. I was thinking about them but MAN I heard they are heavy.

14. theplowmeister

from MA

I love the V not happy with full trip

weighs about 700# about the same as my fisher plow (630#) with backdrag blade with snow deflector with cutting edge.

15. wj4play

wj4play Member

Thanks, i have been thinking of a Boss V, dosent sound to much heavier than mine. My western is getting pretty worn out.

What do you mean Full Trip? is it a trip blade or trip edge?

16. theplowmeister

from MA

Full trip blade

17. wj4play

wj4play Member

wow i assumed they were trip edges. cool

18. theplowmeister

from MA

The Meyer V weighs under 600#.... But its a Meyer

19. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I do my route that takes 8 hours on average and I use around 3/4 of a tank if its light snow or 1 whole tank if its a bad snow...I think its around $40 to $60 per tank depending on fuel prices.