1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by POWERBAND, Feb 5, 2004.

POWERBAND Member

The gasoline oxygenator/water polluter MTBE has been banned in my area and the Gasoline now includes 10% ethanol.
    Does this make the use of gas line anti freeze unneccessary?.
    I always try to throw in a bottle every two or so fillups during the frozen season.
    Thanks PB :cool:
  2. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

We also had to switch to gas with ethanol i actaully heard its crappier gas but to be honest i really have no facts.I was told it tends to leave more water in the fuel then it did with mtbe.
  3. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I really don't know the answer as my chemistry is poor (my worst subject in engineering college).

I know that the old-fashioned Methanol 4-cans-for-a-$1 gasline anti-freeze didn't work very well. That's why you don't see that being sold any more as everyone knows to buy isopropyl gasline anti-freeze instead.

I still use the isopropyl anti-freeze (I live near Buffalo, NY). I use one can for each 10 gallons or so. For a ½+ tank fillup I'll toss in 2 cans.

I'll try to post this question a car-magazine forum to see if anyone there has the answer.

It's a good question, and worthy of consideration as you have to wonder why spend money on extra gasline antifreeze if you don't need to. Eliminating adding extra isopropyl in your gas tank could save quite a bit of money for folks who have a fleet of plow trucks.
  4. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

So far, the thread I started in a car-magazine forum has one response. The following is from someone I know to have some technical expertise in chemistry and fuels. Here's the first response...

The 10% ethanol found in pump gasoline should be enough to dry up water in the fuel system, unless the ethanol has already absorbed enough water to reach its saturation point.

As a water absorber, methanol is much superior to ethanol or isopropyl. Methanol, however is toxic and reacts as a corrosive agent toward aluminum and certain polymers. Hence, the less active alcohols such as ethanol and isopropyl.

Alcohol is not a cleaner burning fuel additive than MTBE, which is being phased out because it does not absorb much water and does not decompose readily in the water supply. Alcohol usage is encouraged by tax credits without which, no one would use the stuff as a fuel.

I key in the the first sentence where he states that "...unless the ethanol has already adsorbed enough water...". I know ethanol likes water, and I have to wonder how the gas is stored... that is, could it have access to air-borne water vapor which it could suck up readily. I assume that the gas storage tanks are all sealed up well enough, but I still worry (just my nature).

Personally, I'll still dump in some isopropyl gasline antifreeze in the cold months. I think for the price it's well worth the peace of mind it provides. Plus too and also, if I have loved ones who depend on the vehicle, I'd hate to see them get stranded in cold weather due to gasline freeze-up. Just my 2¢.