1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06Sierra, Jan 22, 2011.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Late last winter we noticed a gas smell from my wife's 04 Yukon. In the spring when the temps warmed up, the smell went away. That is until this winter, once it got colder the smell came back. I was under it today looking around and noticed it is coming from the tank. The front outer corner and rear inner corner is where it seeps down. I am assuming it depends on where it is parked in the driveway. Sometimes it is at a slight up hill incline and other times down hill. Is there any common problems that I should be looking for? It doesn't leak enough to leave a puddle, it is enough that my wife noticed a couple weeks ago that her gas mileage has been crappy.

2. 06Sierra

from Maine

Talked to my cousin. He said he just fixed the same issue on a similar vehicle. Time to order a fuel pump.

3. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Check the EVAP by the tank. Should be no gas in the lines. Google it for more details.

Also could be several o rings on top of pump itself. If so you might as well replace the pump and ONLY get Delphi brand. If not you will be doing it again in a year or less.

4. 06Sierra

from Maine

I was thinking it was the vent valve solenoid at first. Now that I see where gas is leaking down the tank I am pretty sure it isn't that. I ended up ordering a Delco pump, couldn't find delphi anywhere. From what I have heard the actual pump on the Delco assembly is made by Delphi.

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Is it a plastic tank ??

6. 06Sierra

from Maine

Yes it is plastic.

7. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

You paid waaay too much if you got the at a dealer. Try Rockauto.com or better yet every Napa and Carquest has them or can get them. Advanced usually can order them. The dealer is unreal on pricing for those and your are right Delco and Delphi are basically the same as Delphi makes Delco pumps.

8. 06Sierra

from Maine

I paid $260 shipped from Rockauto. I didn't even bother checking with the local parts stores as they are usually pretty high compared to what I can find online. Everytime I have compared prices between Rockauto and the dealer, Rockauto is almost half price.

9. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Thats decent price. Cant complain there buddy. Have fun dropping that tank! :D