1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas job better then diesel heres why........

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BigBladePusher, Dec 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

Gonna lay it right out there and tell ya that a gas jobs better then a diesel in the plowing line of work. Heres why:

Gas trucks are cheaper to buy

Gas costs less then diesel

Gas engines are cheaper to fix then diesel

Gas engines cost less to change the oil

Gas trucks dont have injector pump failures

Gas trucks will start no matter how cold and dont need to be plugged in

Gas transmissions shift faster then diesels when plowing

Sure diesel has more torque and somewhat better fuel economy but at what cost?

Profits are larger with gas trucks then with diesels because there is less to go wrong

Diesel is noisey and customers dont wanna be woken up late at night hearing glug glug glug glug. Plus diesel stinks.

What do you think?

2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You forgot the most important part:

Diesels weigh more, so they should have duallies up front to carry the extra weight. Thereby increasing tyre costs.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I think everything you said can be countered. Its all a matter of preference, who cares??

4. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

i care thats why i put the post up i want to know what people think. i think gas jobs are awesome if someone can prove me wrong then il consider a diesel.

5. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

You are incredible! Please take the time to learn about life and our industry. After you learn about both maybe someone will listen.

6. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

i have been plowing for 40 years. always used a gas truck. my nephew is trying to tell me diesel is better so i posted my stance on the situation. now i would like to hear others takes on it. is that really that bad?

7. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I have two gas trucks. I have plowed with a diesel before. Diesel has more power the a gas truck. I will be getting a diesel as my next truck. I haul a trailer around 90% of the time so the extra power/fuel economy will come on handy. Once my two gas trucks totally **** the bed I will only buy diesel trucks.

8. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

i agree the diesel has more torque but its so expensive i dont see the justification in the cost. has anyone done a cost comparison mile for mile the gas vs the diesel?

9. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

plus it seems like alot of guys just drive diesels to soup them up, i want regular power rig thats not gonna break the tires loose everytime i tap the thrttle

10. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

who cares??? gas is better in certain circumstances, diesel is better in others. it depends on what the truck is being used for. if your gas truck has served you well for 40 years than stick with it, but don't go spouting off it's better than a diesel truck unless you have actually run one and have real world experience to make that claim.

whats next? you and your nephew then have arguments over whether a gas ford is better than a gas chevy? then we need to solve that dispute for you too?

if you are happy with your truck, and your nephew is happy with his - then leave it at that. or maybe you guys like to look for things to argue about?

11. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

just lookin for valid points from eaither side no need to turn it into something else and side track the thread. i think gas is better but i have not alot of experiance with diesels in trucks so i am asking peole here who do, if you have experiance post if not then dont.

12. BigBladePusher

BigBladePusher Member

i know diesel have a problem with fuel gelling up when its cold gas neverhad that problem. do they make additives for the diesels now?

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

like anything else, there are pros & cons to either...depends on your own needs/requirements.

Two things that keep me in a diesel are power & torque. I can run vast amounts of heavy snow on long runs w/ minimal strain on the engine and drive train. Also, I can tow heavy equipment in high traffic areas w/ greater ease and quicker response, thus being less of a hazard when jumping on a busy freeway.

Yes, I would like to not have to deal w/ some of the mechanical issues which I've had to contend with on my diesels...but for me, the benefits usually out weight the negatives. Resale is also a factor.

14. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Everything I own for truck are diesels, never had a gel up (most stations have "winterblend" fuel to prevent that), yes diesel costs more, but as a rule they get better fuel mileage. Oil changes also cost more, but I am on a 6500 mile oil change interval (double what yours is on your gasser I assume) thus making it about the cost since I only have to change it half as often. You saying that the transmissions shift slower is odd, chances are it's the same tranny behind the diesel engine as the gasser (in most cases). Also a well maintained diesel engine will probably long outlast a well maintained gasoline engine. About your injector pump failures, you mean to tell me you've never lost a fuel pump or had a carburetor mess up?

15. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if you have no experience with diesels and are looking for opinions then why is the thread titled,

"Gas job better then diesel heres why........"

it's clear your mind is made up and that you do not care about the opinion of others.

glad to hear gas has served you well for 40 years - if ain't broke then don't fix it.

you are looking here for justification of your opinion so that you can throw it back in your nephews face. but you will come to find that most guys here understand that there is not a clear winner in the gas vs diesel conversation.

the only way to settle this is to take your nephew outback and whoever is left standing wins the arguement. be sure to record it and post the video here.

16. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Welp, I presented a fact once before in BBP's threads, but it disappeared. So I'll keep my mouth shut.

But what I said was true.

Yes, all diesels gel up regularly. I spend more time ungelling my diesels than I do plowing.

17. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

a $9.00 bottle of power-service that will treat a few hundred gallons of fuel would eliminate that...

18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

My apologies.

1773250-sarcasmmeter_1266531711_super.jpeg

19. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

SERIOUSLY???????????? You know this little about diesels????

Do yourself a major favor and PLEASE forget that diesels even exist.

My thoughts exactly. Stop wasting yours and our time and go back to thinking that gas powered is the only option.

That is 100% YOUR FAULT.
    Pretreat your fuel and you won't have any issues.
    Pay attention to the weather forecasts and treat the fuel before it gets cold. Fuel treatment is incredibly cheap insurance compared to the time it takes to ungel.
    I'd question if some one was qualified to own a diesel if they don't know this one extremely simple and basic part of having a diesel.

As for the topic of the thread, I've got both a v-10 gas and a 7.3L diesel.

I wish I had two diesels.

The better power returns from the diesel when plowing/towing are far worth any maintenance cost offsets.

20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. Comparisons abound. You should easily get a deluge of such information by googling for it. I went to google and typed plowing gas and the auto-suggest feature finished it with vs diesel.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=plo...ra&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&tbs=li:1

The second result is even a thread right here on Plowsite.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=46163

It seems that perhaps you are new to the internet or to forums (if my previous assessment is incorrect). Please be aware that this subject is one that has been explored quite thoroughly and repeatedly on every forum where it is relevant (and many where it is not); it is well known as a touchy issue where you cannot get a decent discussion from a well-asked question, let alone a post like yours.

A well-maintained gasoline engine will outlast the vehicle anyway...the common fascination with engine longevity is misplaced, IMO.

Who the hell has a carburetor? I mean, besides what BigBladePusher had 40 years ago...and besides the 1980 Buick I drive to work every day.

Well said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.