1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas in a diesel transfer tank ???

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by dmcarpentry, Dec 25, 2010.

1. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

Hi Guys

I am interested in running 93 octane gas in my 100 gal diesel transfer tank

I rent a camp in northern Maine for the winter and it is near impossible and very expensive to get high octane fuel in the area.(needed for snowmobiles)

I was wondering of there is any reason I cannot use the transfer tank, it has been cleaned of all diesel, and will be used with a hand pump.

I will most likely bring it to camp full, and try and unload it(with tractor) and leave it until I need to bring home to fill.

any precautions I need to take??

Thanks guys

and Merry Christmas

2. KTM

KTM Junior Member

With higher prices and want for non ethanol feul for snowmobiles, I want to know this too. I would think there would be no law against it in a non commercial vehicle

3. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

We used a 50 gallon diesel tank to fill up mowers and even trucks several times with no problems, i would be worried about condensation if the tank was sitting out side int he snow, If it was in a covered building and it had a fuel filter I would not worry about it.

4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

it is against some state laws to do that and gas is combustible

5. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I believe its illegal to carry that much gasoline weather its commercial or not. I think most states have a 15 gallon or 100 pounds hazard waste law for containers. I was warned about this years ago, I used to race quads and would fill the quads before we got to the track, I also carried along another 18 gallons in 3 containers which was fine by what the cop told me. The problem was I had also just bought a 30 gallon drum of VP race gas. The cop said I was carrying more gas than the law allows and could have been fined.

Might want to check your local and or gov laws.

6. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

I wouldn't worry about it.
    Have fun!

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I suggest you make sure to have a UL listed hose that is recommended for flammable fuels, and that the tank & hose are grounded. Otherwise you may be in for a bit of a surprise if you get a good static discharge while dispensing gas into your sleds.

8. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Gasoline is flammable. Diesel fuel is combustible. Huge difference.

That being said, I'd really like a 50 gallon tank to fill the mowers.

9. paponte

paponte Senior Member

You said it dude! If it's not intended for it, there's a reason. :yow!:

10. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

I got a 109 gal tank from http://www.transferflow.com/refueling_tanks.html this spring. Ran me about $1300 with shipping and we love the thing. It is built specifically for gas. We fill all the mowers off it each morning before they leave the yard. I would certainly not put gas in a container that was not designed for it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

that's great that you aren't using a diesel one.
    I assume you have your CDL with hazmat endorsement and it's fully placarded????

12. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

13. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Wouldn't he be good without up to 119 gallons?

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ditto :laughing:

15. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

If you are going yo transfer gas legal or not make sure it is an aluminum tank. Condension and corn gas are steel killers.
    I bought a 110 gal tank and cut it in half and rewelded it into half gas half diesel. Best investment I ever made.
    I can fuel up trucks so they don't spend time at the gas station and fill my other diesel transfer for the skids.
    And fill the sleds, boat, etc when we go up north. Grounding is key.

16. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

On my list of things to do this winter is to take the tank out of the truck and permanently attach it to a pallet/skid of some sort so that I can put it in the truck to fill up, then remove it and place it in the barn until it needs filled again. One of my thoughts is grounding - how would you ground it while in the truck and then also how would you ground it while it is in the barn? Has anyone done something similarly?

17. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

In the trck:
    A ground wire from the tank to the frame. You could set it up so that the wire could be quickly disconnected when removing the tank from the truck. In a barn you can drive a ground rod (available at hardware or electrical supply houses) and attach the tank to it. IMO grounding is most important wherever the fuel will be transfered or dispensed.

18. LoneCowboy

if he had diesel in it
    but he's got gasoline in it
    that's limited to 8 gallons without hazmat.

19. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

can we get a reference please? I spent an hour this morning searching the DOT website and found nothing referencing the quantity limit of gasoline.

20. LoneCowboy

look under the FMCSA rulebook website
    takes the right search, but it shows right up
    under the hazmat quantities area.
    I even quoted and posted it on here a few months back.