1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Gauges in Old Fords

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Hmebuildr, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Ok Why is it that they never read right. I have dual tanks and they both read full right until they are just about empty then they both go down. What is the fix for this? 88 F150 4.9

2. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 86 F250, there are multiple areas to look at. It could be the gauge cluster, the sender, or wiring. In your case it would most likely be the in tank senders. Have you checked out the Ford owners message board, there are many good writeups on the subject.

www.ford-trucks.com

3. bgrover

bgrover Member

I don't know but it is strange. I have an '85 Full Size Bronco 5.8l and after about 6 years my gauge started acting up. In my case it goes from Full to Empty in 1/2 a tank. Then just before it is really "empty" it jumps back up to about 1/8th of a tank and drops slowly down.

4. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

90% of the problems relate to the in tank sender, most people change the sender when they do the tank, it starts leaking a few years after the gauge starts going bad(those of us in the northern climates). It could be wiring, it could be the gauge cluster but more times than not it is the tank. I have problems with mine, but I just switch tanks when the thing starts sputtering. Shortly thereafter I gas up.

Good luck

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

I have an 85 f150 with the dual tanks, and you guys are lucky if your sat least tell you something, I'm in the dark.. The main tank gauge does not work at all... Put a new tank in and that s when it stopped working, Cause it may have somthing to do with the fact that I brok the electrical connector ..LOL....

6. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

I occasionally get a short and blow the fuse for the tank switching valve. I just keep a bag of 10A fuses on me. When the fuse blows it just defaults to the front tank, the rear is the one that leaks above half so it doesnt matter to me. When plowing I just check to make sure I can still hear the solenoid switching, every hour. If not I replace the blown fuse, if I have to use the rear tank.