1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81pickup, Jan 27, 2002.

1. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

The gas guage in my truck is seriously screwed up. It bounces back and fourth. I think there is a loose connection or bad ground somewhere. it has a Clarion deck with 2 Pioneer 120 W 6x9"s and two 150 W mini subs behind the seat. Whoever did the wiring did a real crappy job. Could all this extra draw be causing the problem? It has dual tanks and when I switch tanks the guage doesn't move at all. Any one out there had similar problems?

Thanks....:D

2. blzn74

blzn74 Member

It sounds too me like a bad ground, although its kinda funny, you have the exact year truck I do and we have the exact problems.
    Example(bad grounds,fuel switch,bench seat......the list goes on.

3. mowahman

mowahman Junior Member

my '87 did the exact same thing...took it to this guy who is an electrical wizard and he took the dash panel out, checked it and found that the soldering that holds all what looks like a printed circuit board together had split. He looked for a new used one, but that was pricey..so he just soldered it back together, 9 yrs. later, I still got proper guage read outs all around. Hope this give you an idea where to look.

4. chevy

chevy Member

I have a similar problem with mine to. Ever since I put the surb. Instrument cluster in the needle goes up and down for on aparent reason. My old dash didn't do this. I think a jewel from the junk dealer might do the trick, I hope. Other wise a select few hits on the dash in the right spot gets things right for a while.