1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTChevy, May 7, 2003.

1. JTChevy

JTChevy Junior Member

I have a gas gauge problem. When I took out my dash, I moved the red/orange needle from E to about the 1/2 full positon. Now I can't get it to reset back to zero or E when the truck is off. So I don't know how much fuel I really have. How do I fix this problem. Thanks

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

A little more info on the truck would help,like year,and model.

Most fuel gauges only read when connected and powered on,and respond quite slowly.The newer trucks being much slower than the older ones.Plug everything back in and turn the ignition on,and wait for a bit,or take it for a drive.The gauge should eventually come back to where it was.They respond slowly so the gauge isn't going nuts as your driving around and the fuel sloshes around in the tank.Some trucks even had an "anti-slosh" module,which averages out the tank sender readings to keep the gauge steady.

Thje gas gauges don't normally read correctly when the truck is off.The key must be on for it to register.When you turn the key off,it may go up,down or stay put,depending on the truck.Don't worry about what it reads when it's off.

If the gauge continues to act up,then either you may have a bad connection somewhere when you had it apart,or you may have damaged the gauge.

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Chris, the newer trucks, especially the Chevy (at least), gas gauge respond very quickly. Once I turn the ignition on, the gas gauge on my '02 Silverado quickly tell me how much gas is in the tank. Just under a second. Although I also noticed that when the gas in the tank is sloshing, the gas gauge changes a bit, especially when the truck is running low on fuel. The low fuel light would come on for a few seconds then turn off.

4. JTChevy

JTChevy Junior Member

The truck is a "77" 4x4 3/4 ton. Again, when the truck is off the gauge sits at 1/2 full. If I move the needle to E with the truck off it still returns to something other than E when I turn it off and on again. Thanks James

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Well a couple of freinds of mine have an '80's style 1 ton dump's and there gas gauges are all messed up just like yours never did find out what was wrong with them.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is normal.The gauge does nothing when the key is turned off.You could move the needle anywhere by hand,and it will stay put until next time you turn the key on.When you turn it on,it should move to where it is supposed to be,indicating how much fuel is in the tank.

Do you know exactly how much fuel is in the tank ? and does the gauge read correctly after the key is turned on and the gauge stops moving ?

7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

In my 2001 Chevy 3500 my gas gauge don't work right either. sometimes it dont work at all and when it does work it is never accurate. I ran out of gas one day because of it.:realmad:

8. jlsanborn

jlsanborn Member

Crawl under and follow the brown wire from the top of the tank, along the frame rail and finally across the engine compartment into the firewall junction block. Also look for a wire with a ring terminal that is screwed to the frame near the tank. If these are in order it is most likely crappy connections at the sender.