1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas gauge problems...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 81pickup, Feb 26, 2002.

1. 81pickup

81pickup Junior Member

I have some problems with my gas gauge and I hope you guys can help. First there is a loose wire or ground somewhere. Whenever I go over a bump my gas gauge bounces around. When i shut the key off it goes up to about half a tank and when I start it up it goes to E. If I hit the dash the speedo bounces up to about 30k. where is the ground located? Secondly, when I switch tanks the gauge goes ape $hit and almost does a 360. i remember blzn 74 had a similar problem but I can't remember what the problem was. Any help would be appricated.

2. blzn74

blzn74 Member

Re:gas gauge

Erik, 2 things to check for,1)Bad Grounds, the intrument panel grounds go to a ground block located on top of the parking brake pedal, it should have about 8 prongs on it and I think I had about 2 or 3 wires grounded to it, The grounding block itself is grounded to the top of the parking brake pedal by a spot weld, and the pedal itself is grounded by a 1/2bolt, bolting the pedal to the body, the problem I had was that my grounding block wasnt grounded, the bolt backed itself off because its part of a moving mechanisim (the parking brake pedal). If you can move your parking brake pedal side to side its probley got a loose ground. 2)The gas tank sending unit could be bad or grounded out, if it is grounded out it will peg your gauge.

I was frustrated with all my gauges not working properly so I decided to start eliminating problem area's and I began to redo every ground in my truck, Battery to Frame, Frame to Body, and Body to Engine. Wah Lah, everything works, hopes this sends you in the right direction.