1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas gauge problems/99silverado newer bodystyle

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blublzr, Jan 8, 2007.

1. blublzr

blublzr Member

hi guys
    i asked a while back if anyone had intermittant gas gauge problems. most of the time it just reads empty. sometimes it will read , and when it decides to read it seems to be about right. is there a connector plug on the back of the dash panel that could be loose, or is it possible the connector on the fuel sending unit has a bad ground. any thoughs , or advise. i have had this problem for 2 years now and ran out of gas today . i've had enough of fuel mileage calculations!!!

thanks , wil :jester:
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like it may be a bad ground somewhere. Check the wires around the tank and on the sending unit. Im not sure how it connects on the back of the dash, but it wouldnt hurt to look
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This is a very common problem on the newer GM's. What actually happend's in most cases is the copper contact's inside the sending unit lose connection between the float contact and the contact's on the sender board. GM used an anti corrosion coating on the brass contact's and some of the new additve's that the oil companie's are using in the gas these day's eats away at the coating on these contact's and they loose connection. As a lot of guy's know they have the same problem with premature fuel pump failure's caused by the same thing too.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very common problem on the GM's. More than likely your problem is the contact's on the sender board loosing connection with the contact on the float arm. GM coated these contact's with an "anti corrosion" coating that just happens to react to some of the newer additive's that the oil company's added to their gas in the last few year's. As a lot of guy's know from premature fuel pump failure it effect's the fuel pump's too.
  5. 353628

353628 Junior Member

Here's another example - no one could explain

I had a 2000 silverado that I recently traded. Three years prior to that the gas Gage started acting up. When the tank was full the Gage would go to empty as soon as I pressed the break peddle. As the fuel level went down it would work better and it seemed I had to have the brake on longer before it acted up and went to empty. After I let off the break peddle the Gage would go back to where it should be. Never caused me to run out of gas but it was annoying. The dealer said the sending unit in the tank had to be replaced, never wanted to spend the money to have it fixed and after all it worked that way for another 50,000 miles. I often wondered if that was the real problem or if there was something else in the electrical system that was haywire. Never had any problems with the fuel pump though.

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

As most have stated the mostly likely cause is a bad fuel gage sending unit. The sending unit is available separately from the pump assembly, but when you replace the fuel pump assembly it is included. The fuel pump on these trucks have a life expectancy of around 120K miles give or take 25K miles. Anyway you look at it the repair is about 3 hours of flat rate labor plus the parts. The sender alone is Delco Part # SK1028 and retails for $171.69. The fuel pump assembly is most likely Delco Part # MU1089 and retails for $538.16. The correct fuel pump should be check against the vehicle's production and broadcast codes. The prices I have posted are current RETAIL prices. I would also recommend only using Genuine Delco parts, from my experience they last longer.
  7. doh

doh Senior Member

They have used some sort of fuel injecter cleaner at the local GM dealership here with some luck, It doesn't fix them everytime but it is worth a shot before dropping the tank.
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

We have found that the plastic washer on the sending unit arm has shrunk. Re-tensioning the arm by slight bending has fixed the problem without replacing the sending unit. The first one we did was 3 + years ago, still working.