1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Engine vs Diesal Engine

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 24, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

I am looking to purchase a 2003 Chevy 1500 HD 5.3 V8 with a wheel base 119". I definely need a short bed pick-up truck. But I was wondering about the Ford Diesal engine, it might be better due to it 's pushing power. What your opinion ? Is there a Ford model turck with a diesal engine I should also be looking at ?:waving:

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I don't think you will can compare the 5.3L to a 7.3 or a 6.0 powerstroke, or to a 6.6L DUramax for that matter.

I've heard and read some things about the new 6.0 that would make me think twice, or three time before buying one.

Since you mentioned the 1500HD, which is an extended cab short bed, i assume that you want the extra people capacity, maybe you should look into the 2500 or 2500HD (which would be better for plowing, and more heavy duty all around) with the club cab and short bed. My uncle just bought an 03 2500HD ext cab/ Longbed, dmax/allison. It is too long to plow with, and too long for my comfort as well, but it has endless power, and comfort!

-John

3. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

there is not a 1/2 ton ford with a diesel. you would have to get a 3/4 ton. you can get it with a crew cab and 6 foot bed, x-cab with 6 foot bed or reg-cab with 6 foot bed. i would get a diesel because of the power, fuel econemy and the torque.... just my 2 cents