1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas engine programmer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by monson770, Jan 6, 2011.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i know that i have heard all of the people who own diesel trucks say how they love the programmers.

My question is, is it worth it for gas engines seeing as you do not get near the power increases?
    more importantly for me, do they really help with gas mileage?

i would be really happy to just increase my mileage. i currently get around 270-285 per tank, and want to see at least 335-350. better than that and i think i would start crying, i'd be soo happy..

any suggestions on where i can find a good programmer is also welcome, thanks in advance.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

They are nothing like they are in the diesel world. Performance wise, maybe 20hp, economy wise maybe 1-2mpgs difference. Also, most of them will require the use of premium fuel once they are tuned, therefore cancelling out the fuel cost savings.

The best route to go on a gasser is to get a custom tuned PCM, but they can get pricey. I'm not saying tuners don't help, but if you are looking to save money, it takes a while for it to make up for itself.

3. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Not worth it on a gas. ive been around an 8.1 and a 7.4 both using a hypertech programmer. Both owners are not excited about the results. The only reason the buddy of mine with the 7.4 kept his is because it raised his rev limiter which helps him on the pulling track. In my opinion invest your money elsewhere such as a cold air intake or exhaust. Good luck!

4. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

For your truck, id go wit ha PCM tune. They seem to provide the most bang for the buck as far as "tunes" go.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

yes upgrade the pcm if you going to spend the money on a programmer.

6. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

would this be an aftermarket style pcm or just re-programing the stock one? also, would the dealer be able to do this or would i go to a speed shop?

7. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

You would need to program the stock one. The ones on here most talked about are black bear and Nelson tunes, both for reasonable money for the gains. That's where I would start, both should be able to answer all your questions on there sites.

8. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

Been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.....

I had a 2002 HD just like yours and went through a couple of tuned ECMs and with that being said, it's a waste of money. Got a smidge of power, zero mileage gain, and nothing else....

9. antdog600

antdog600 Member

i have a box, cant be doing much? 2 wires to mass air meter. ill check the name of it tomorrow.

10. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

I got my PCM tuned 7 years ago and think it was the best bang for the buck modification I have done. I don't know if I gained any power but I do know I can use all the power I already have whenever I want it.
    The stock tune has so many "nannies". Called torque management. Power is allowed only when the computer thinks you need it. Stock I couldn't do a brake stand because the abuse mode whould limit throttle opening. Same with full throttle starts-stock wouldn't happen. Now, with the torque management removed, if I floor it the throttle will open all the way with no delay. It really changes the whole driving experiance.

11. JRKRACE

JRKRACE Senior Member

I'm glad it worked out better for you than me. I was plagued with pinging which needed premium fuel to remedy. I switched tuners and did it again and like I said, the truck seemed a little peppier. My 02 was pretty snappy out of the gate and was quicker than my 04 was as well, so maybe I got a fast truck from the start.

Maybe it's me...I'm spoiled by what tuning can do to my diesel......

12. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

yea, diesels are seeming to me to be the way i will go someday , just need to have the money set aside to fix it if/when it breaks!!

i guess i will leave the GMC the way it is for now... maybe an intake/ exhaust upgrade, but i might as well face the facts...

hopefully in a couple years i can afford a nice diesel with a western wide-out or blizzard wing plow...

13. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I have a blackbear tune on my computer, and It is ok..... at best. It did firm up the shifting though. But it cost almost $300 to have done.