1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas engine or diesel?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rpm, Aug 5, 2009.

1. rpm

rpm Junior Member

We are ordering a new F250 or 350 today and are trying to decide between the gas or diesel engine. The diesel costs approximately $7,500.00 more. Is the diesel engine option worth paying this much money or is the gas engine just as good?
    Bob

2. Carlito

Carlito Member

3. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Ford diesel vs. gas

Carlito,
    Thanks for the lead on the diesel vs. gas study. It appears the answer is a no brainer. I'll bite the bullet and order the diesel. It sure looks like the money will be recovered in the saved fuel costs with increased power with less workload on the engine. Would you say thats a fair interpretation of the study?
    Thanks again,
    Bob

4. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

You should register at powerstroke.org you'll get all kinds of help over there. My username is JaimeG

5. Kunker

Kunker Member

One thing to look into is the reported mileage on a stock 6.4...I've heard some pretty bad things about what the new emissions packages for all diesels does to the mileage. That being said, I'm a diesel lover and would love to get my hands on one.

6. Carlito

Carlito Member

I think you nailed it right on the head Bob. The only question is whether your engine will perform like the one in the article. Apparently, there is quite a bit of variation in terms fuel economy with these puppies.

The salesman that I spoke with said that the 2010 are going for a big premium over the 2009's because Ford's not offering the same delivery allowances. Is that what your hearing? Aside from the diesel, how are you optioning the truck?
    Take care

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

18.5 MPG off a 6.4 power stroke LMAO. Ford must have tuned that thing in perfect. eveyone I talk to say there truck is only gettting 12mpg if they are lucky unloaded. I would not believe that article at all. The link he posted is nothing more than an ad. That website is sponsered by Ford and no way they are going to post that truck only got 13mpg. Plus since they are borrrowed truck they had to be programed for fuel mileage and there tow rating I bet were way down. Oh one other thing you have to consider about the Powerjoke is that changing out a turbo is a cab off repair. The 6.4 is the next 6.0 when it comes to resale. People are going to balk at it and you will lose tons in resale. You are new to Diesels I take it. People that know Diesel are staying away from these things. Dodge is out selling Ford in the f450-f550 right now 3-1 if that tells you anything. I have seen more tow trucks in area that are Dodges. All the big companys that always had Fords learned there lesson with the 6.0 and now with know issues of 6.4 and MPG issues they are not gettting burned again. Buy the 5.4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUkd-VQkjCQ

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f35/6-4-powerstroke-fuel-mileage-157014/

http://forums.dieselpowermag.com/70/6848203/power-stroke/anyone-getting-decent-mileage-on-64-power-stroke/index.html

8. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Answer for Carlito and options on the truck.

Carlito,
    I just retired from Ford this past February and part of my retirement incentive is a vehicle voucher that will pay for 1/2 the truck. Today in Canada is the first day that we can build and price our own 2010 trucks on the Ford website. Yes the price has increased from last year. Base price by $2500 and all options are more expensive with the diesel being an additional $8,000. I think we are going with the F350 Supercab XL 4x4 with snow plow package and diesel engine. I wanted Pueblo Gold paint to match my other Ford F150 but it looks like they have discontinued that color. I am trying to keep costs down because I will need to spend another $12,000 or better on a v plow and salter. After all I am retired :dizzy:
    Bob

9. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Thanks Big Dave

Thanks for all the links to check out. I'm not trying to Dodge buying a Chrysler but Ford is buying half the vehicle for me as a retirement incentive. So basically I am saddled with a Ford. Only question I have is which engine to get. The V8, V10 or diesel. I live about 20 miles from most of my clients so I want the best gas mileage without sacrificing too much power and you are right I've never owned a diesel.
    Bob

10. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

If you don't care about losing your warranty with the diesel, you could always do a dpf delete and get a programmer, some say they get almost double the mpg's when they did this, as well as a little bit more power.

11. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

if your in canada and they are paying half might as well go with the diesel, up ther you can legally take off the dpf just that will pick you up a few miles per gallon, and will go better to, prob have less engine problems to because it will never regen so it would keep the high egts away.

12. rpm

rpm Junior Member

dpf delete

Thanks for the input JaimeG. If I find I can't live with the diesel engine the way it is, deleting the dpf and getting a programmer may be a viable option. It's a good thing I live next door to a mechanic. This stuff is over my head but I'm sure he'll know all about it.
    Bob

13. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Thanks bigbadbrad

I had to pull my dictionary out on this one.

Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF)A Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter (DPM) or soot, from the exhaust of diesel engines. Diesel particulate filters can remove roughly 85% of the soot found in diesel emissions and can at times, depending on the filter and other equipment it is paired with can attain 100% soot removal efficiencies.

Diesel-powered vehicles which are equipped with a DPF emit no visible emissions from the exhaust pipe and far less harmful not only to the environment, but to the general health of those in the vicinity of the running vehicle.

Sssh!!!! Don't tell my wife about the dpf. She is a health nut and nature freak. If she finds out I'm considering tampering with the engine. I'll not only be looking for a new truck , I'll also be shopping for a more comfortable chesterfield. :salute:

14. rpm

rpm Junior Member

Thanks Kunker

I'll take that under advisement. I would bet I'll never get the truth about mileage at the dealership. I'll have to keep my eye open for Ford owners with diesel engines and ask them for their opinions. Actually I know a retired Ford employee living in Northern Michigan who owns a F350 diesel which he uses to tow his 5th wheel around the US every winter. I'll fire off an email and ask his opinion.
    Bob

15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

if Ford is buying half of an 2010 What Diesel motor do you get? the 6.4 PSD or the new 6.7 Scorpian? Either way you cant lose. If you get 50k truck for 25k then buy the Diesel. Just sell it if the MPG's become an issue

16. rpm

rpm Junior Member

6.4 PSD Diesel

The only diesel being offered is the 6.4PSD V8 to the tune of $8,070 dollars CDN. I have to keep the truck for one year before I can sell it. That's part of the agreement with Ford.
    Whats your feeling on the V10 gas engine?
    Bob

17. Kunker

Kunker Member

Mechanic or diesel mechanic? There's a big difference as your average auto tech is over their head when it comes to the diesels, and you can learn that lesson the hard way unfortunately.

As everyone said, if you're getting the truck for 1/2 price, go for it and see if you like it. Worst case you can flip the truck for 3/4 of the sticker price and still be ahead.

18. Carlito

Carlito Member

Bob,
    Congratulations on your retirement! :drinkup:
    One thing to keep in mind about the xl is that it comes with a crummy bench seat. Please read this thread:
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=82067

I hope you can post pictures of the truck when you get it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  19. keithhamilton11

keithhamilton11 Junior Member

Diesel motors weigh a lot more which limit your choices of plows, but you cant beat the milage and power.

Summit Landscaping
    Brighton MI 48116

20. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

While a diesel engine is superior to a gas engine in every way, I would not risk purchasing a new diesel truck unless you are planning on removing the entire exhaust treatment system, or, you have a good backup truck, cause you may see some considerable downtime.