1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas engine on Spreader is Flooding.....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Midwest, Nov 27, 2005.

1. I had to put a new Briggs engine on my spreader last year. It was a 13.5hp that I picked up at a Farm store. Everything matched perfect for the swap out. It works perfect except for the long trips without the engine running. It floods itself out from all the bouncing around while traveling. I talked to the store about it and he gave me a shut off valve for the fuel line. I have to shut the fuel off before I head to a job that is far away and it is really a pain in the butt.

I pulled the bowl off the carburetor today to see if I could just bend up the tab to hold the float up better, but the damn thing is plastic.

Any Ideas???? Please????:dizzy:

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Shut off the fuel like the dealer says. Nothing really you can do- those engines are not made for long bumpy travel. Bending the tab wouldn;t have solved the problem either- just effected the engine's fuel supply. Look for a 12v fuel shutoff or fuel approved 12v solinoid you can plumb inline and wire to a switch. Ideally normally closed so you turn on the fuel by turning on power. At least you don;t have to get out of the truck.

Depending on which engines you ultimatly chose the carb design may partially be at fault too. Too many people refuse to believe there are specific engines designed and made for specific purposes- the real problem is the dealers are often those people. I would never run a Briggs engine in anything in the snow- never seen one preform well yet. Tecumseh makes Snow King engines specifically for snowy, wet and cold weather use. I have never seen a Briggs winter engine, and I have snowblowers that are over 30 years old- still running well with the Tecumseh's. My spreader was a Tecumseh too.