1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Cards! New Hampshire area for Irving Gas

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by BrandonSRH, Dec 4, 2012.

1. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

So here is the story.. My company did a job for a home owner here in NH and the guy now says he has no money to pay the bill just under $1k the type of job we never get a deposit on. So he says he can give me $500 worth of Irving Gas gift cards for a portion of the payment and maybe some more.

Any one want to buy them for $400?

Normally I would just keep them but this time of year I need the cash, we are normally a little slower and I give my guys bonuses not to mention the job was mostly materials and sub cost's so I really want the cash back. Other collection efforts are not going to work with this guy.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Gas cards as bonus are good.Gas cards to buy your own gas,you save on using your own money and use the gas money to pay your bill.

3. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

The guys and girl like the cash.. The gas bills are at a min right now.. The other bills are big right now though! Plus we use a local station and the guy gives us a monthly discount on gas..

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Start removing whatever you did.

Its always amazing how fast people find money when you show up with a crew and start dismantling things. Have the bill for the material that has the homeowners address on it - since you own the product - take it, but take it darn quick

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Sorry once installed paid or not paid for it is now the proprety of the home owner always get a deposit

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I would take it and only credit him for $400 towards his balance

7. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

Exactly I can't take anything out.. Most I can do is bring them to court and then attach a lien which is pointless and costly on my end.. We don't require deposits or contracts on jobs under $1500 and this was more of a emergency service call on top of that. Seven years in business and seldom any problems not to mention we do mostly commercial work.

8. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

I'm only going to credit half of the amount. Pretty pissed since he didn't have any intention of paying from the beginning.

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Possession is 9/10's of the law. Why do you think I said do it QUICK. Its too bad there are always so many cameras everywhere nowadays.

10. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Technically its a civil infraction, but if in some way you could get enough evidence in place to convince someone (the judge) that they knew going in that they werent going to be able to pay (statements made during the building, non payment of items, etc.) you might be able to stick them with a criminal summons for theft by deception. If you do a little homework and bring it to a police officer already complete with research done, they can issue a summons which "usually" turns peoples mind set around and they at least set up a payment plan to get it done. Make sure you get whatever you decide in writing as far as a payment plan for the money.

11. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

Around here that seldom works since its so hard to prove. Any time some one doesn't prepay it basically considered credit so unless you can prove fraud it's which almost impossible it's just a civil matter.

Not for nothing it was a electric water heater we changed out for him and he has a family and kids and I understand you need that I would have worked with him. I would have spread out the bill over 3 months or something if he told me up front. It's just odd to begin with.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I feel for you all of our jobs we do we get 10% on signing contract 40% on first day of work another 40% when all materials are on job site and final 10% on walk through
    Not legal but has been working for me so far
    On smaller 1 or 2 day jobs I have done 1/3 sign 1/3 start and 1/3 when finish
    Just sucks the customer usually has more rights than us

13. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I would be interested in purchasing the gas cards

14. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

Where are you located?

15. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

dover nh area

16. BrandonSRH

BrandonSRH Junior Member

If you want to meet today send me a email.. I could meet later this afternoon if that works for you..
    Brndnh721@yahoo.com