1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas Caddy Home Fuel Storage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by joshg, Apr 14, 2014.

1. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Anyone store gasoline at home for emergency usage? Was thinking of getting one of these that I could fill for emergency usage (for generator, autos, etc) if emergency. Would not leave full of gas for long periods due to aging issues.

Since gas is not easliy transported safely in larger quantites I was considering filling this with smaller cans (~5 gal) or perhaps siphoning from truck tank.

How hard to siphon from 2000 Chevy 2500....just run hose down? Or are there anti siphon measures that would make challenging.

This type of thing makes one just want to get diesel everything.
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I had one once for gas for a generator I had at a relative's house. Was a pain to get the gas out because tge hose would leak and the nozzle wouldn 't pump. Much easier to just get a bunch of regular old 5 gallon gas cans. Easier to recycle the gas a few times a year by just dumping it in the car's tank and filling the cans with fresh fuel.
  3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

whatever you decide to use treat all gas.....I prefer 5 gal cans and rotate the fuel with fresh
  5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

We have several of the cheaper ones you can buy. Didn't even pay $200 new. They work fine and since all thing will break, we can have a few spares for what we saved.
  6. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I have a 16 gallon plastic Gas Buddy. We use it to refuel our waterski boat during the summer and I use it exactly as you described in winter.

I move it from the dock location to our winter office/shop and fill with five gallon cans. Every six weeks or so, I empty it into one of the work vehicles, as well as the extra five gallon tanks. Even after refilling with fresh gas, I add Marine Stabil (the blue liquid) for the short term storage.

It is a PITA to deal with but we got caught a few years ago in the hurricane without power for a week. I have four locations that I have portable generators to run if the power goes out, so I need about 20 gallons a day to run the generators.
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

8. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

Thanks for input guys. Anyone siphon from their truck?

I have used stabil (red) and seafoam for gas treatmetn and have not had problems with either. My small engine guy seems to prefer seafoam, not sure why.
  9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

They are supposed to have a screen in filler neck to prevent you from doing that now.

If it does you can just loosen filler neck and put the siphon in there
  10. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

my 2011 25 HD 6.0 has something in the filler tube that I broke when trying to siphon IN 5 gallons of gas - made it so I couldn't fill / add gas at the gas station and screwed up the venting as well ... 3 yr/36 covered the $100 repair (I know nothing !)

Don't put anything down the filler more than a few inches - SO -

(No Siphoning OUT !) I still siphon in my stored generator gas ...