1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas blow out

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by allenc, Nov 14, 2005.

1. allenc

allenc Junior Member

Hi
    Can anyone tell me the problem with a 87 ford f-150 300ci it wants to blow
    gas out the filler pipe setting still, it is the front tank, I had to replace the rear tank after I got the truck. I replace lines going to the canster from tank.

Allen C.

2. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE MAY MALFUNCTION AND CAUSE AN OVERFILL CONDITION IN ONE OF THE FUEL TANKS, RESULTING IN AN OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP.

This was a recall item...

Only problem now is the truck cant be more then 12 yrs old or have over 150K miles for them to still fix it for free.

Your valve is more then likely stuck open, Filling the front tank with fuel from the rear causing the over flow. More then likely it does it driving also.

All_Clear

3. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

My mistake it was a recall on the 89 not the 87... But it sounds like thats what is wrong... Would be a good starting point.

All_Clear

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That is an EFI truck I take it? My book does not say when EFI started in the full size trucks.
    The tank switcher is bad it's not fully switching tanks. It's the black plastic thing before the frame rail pump with the fuel lines attached to it.
    If it is fuel injected you have 2 pumps, one (low pressure) in each tank and one high pressure on the frame rail about at the front edge of the drivers door up to 1989.The tank switcher uses the pressure of the tank sending fuel to switch the tanks no electric involved.When it fails it will take out of one and return to the other. The tank selector switch on the dash just picks which tanks sends fuel. You can't repair the tank switcher. I would bet Ford does not have it available. Get one out of the junk yard or try LMC Truck.com

5. al2275

al2275 Junior Member
    from NJ

Yep, Mick Rig is right. I had the same problem years ago with my Ford Van!
    Replace the Tank Selector Valve

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I chased a gremlin for 3 years, I would lose fuel pressure and the truck would die. It only did it when it was 70 or warmer out and not every day. I learned a lot about Ford EFI in search of that little gremlin.

7. allenc

allenc Junior Member

Thank You

Thank You for your help with my problem I picked one up in the junk yard last week and it seems to have fixed the problem, I filled the tank an drove it all week and it did not lose any gas out the filler tube. I did find some broken lines as well so that may have helped out some what..

Thank You all
    Allenc

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Just a little FYI inliners started EFI in '87, had feedback carb from 83 up to then.

302 had some EFI in 83, pretty much all from 84 up had it.

351 didn't get it until 87-88 was mixed.

460 i would asume same as 351 but not sure at all