1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

gas $$$ and uninsured lowballer's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Sep 5, 2005.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

will these high gas prices push a lot of the uninsured low ballers, plowing for beer money out ? i sure as hell hope so ...
    just wanted to hear all your thought's on it.

2. Plow King

Plow King Senior Member

I doubt it, they'll just raise their prices too, they'll still be the lowballers....just not as low.

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

My thought:

I paid $67.00 F'ing ^#%@$^@%!$^!%$!#^% dollars for to fill my tank from 1/4 today.

If I get undercut by a lowballer then so be it. There's no way in hell I'm going to lower my rates just to get a job. I base what I charge upon cost +. Let the lowballer have the account, when he gets sued with no Ins. he'll lose out.

4. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Seriously doubt it.... they for one don't have the business mentality that a full time operator has. Second of all they are in it for a quick buck, not the long haul. Even if you get rid of one another will take his place. Their mentality tells them they need to do more $10 drives. Nothings going to change that.

All_Clear

5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

thats almost exactly what i was thinking ...
    on the flip side, i can see some , hopefully a lot of the low baller's trying to keep their low prices so they get more account's.
    maybe later in the year when the figure out they are making next to nothing , they quit.
    guess thats just wishful thinking though :)

6. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I think a lot of lowballers don't really think about the costs of running a business. They look at plowing as a way to make some really quick cash. A guy on my street has a lowballer for his 60 foot double wide driveway. The lowballer plows the driveway no matter how big a storm for $20. In addition, the lowballer gets out of his truck and shovels the front walk, etc. I'm thinking of using this lowballer as a sub but I'll have him sign a non-competition agreement so he can't take away my accounts. I'll pay the lowballer $20 to do MY driveways that I charge $50 and up for. As lowballers usually want the $$$ right away, I'll pay him immediately after the storm so he'll continue to work for me. As I said, I'm thinking about it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I'm more then sure the lowballers will come out now, cause they need even more money for gas :gunsfiring: LOWBALLERS

8. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

:rolleyes: I'm having a bit of trouble finding parking lots to plow. There's a guy who is plowing them for only $25.00 per snow storm, no matter how deep the snow is.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Let the lowballers get in and fill up. Then you come in and charge what you want for what's left. I've used that tactic in snowplowing and other situations. It always works. But once you start competing with them on price, you'll get to be known as "one of the cheap guys". Once you get that label, it's hard to shake. Customer's perception is everything.

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Don't worry, they won't last long, they never do !!

11. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I went after a car dealership account last winter. Wasn't a big lot at all but the owner asked me to do it. Now I had already talked to the previous contracter because I didn't want to be seen as taking it away - he didn't need it any more and gave me the go ahead. Also told me his price so I had something to work with. Of course I was more expensive than him. These are the games contractors play.

Anyhow, I gave the client my price. Of course, he starts on about how the other guy only charged so much - why should he pay me more. So I asked him the saem question - I said, I can go down the street and buy a cheaper car than the ones you sell, why should I buy one from you. So he goes on about his are better quality, etc.

I said, "same here". You are paying me more because I am offering a quality job and reliable service. He says ok, you got it.

Felt pretty good about selling to a car dealer :bluebounc

12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

That is perfect, I'm using that one :nod:

13. mole

mole Senior Member

Just got a flyer in my mailbox today that said $190.00 for the season. I guess the guy can"t read, I had my truck in the driveway with my sign on the tailgate right next to the mail box (Rsm Enterprises LLc lawn care and snow removal.) Lokks like I"ll lose some this year. Im 275.00 for the season at 3" he's 190.00 @ 2"

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Moke whats 190@2" ? you mean upto 2 snowremovals or every 2" he comes and clears the driveway no matter how much snow? I feel sorry for you guys damn! lol, i only do snowblowing so i clear it when its over. I couldnt see wasting all the gas and fuel driving to some place 20 times because it snowed 30+ inches or something, thats nuts.

15. mole

mole Senior Member

that means he's 190 for the season meaning nov1 to april 15th, and everytime the snow reachs 2"inches he plows you.

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How would he handle a snowfall of, say, 14"? Plow seven times? I just figured it up and for here, with a 2" trigger, that would be an average of $7.30 a trip. Even if he only plowed once per snowstorm, that would be $14.60 per trip for an average year.

Somewhere, you have to use common common sense. You'd be better off sitting home watching TV, letting him plow your driveway and take calls for plowing. If you're not going to make money plowing or pay them to plow their driveway, why do it?

17. mole

mole Senior Member

thst's the way some guy's think. I have been doing it so long that it doesn't even bother me any more. I have my accounts that have been with me forever. I just laugh when I get these things in my mail box.

18. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Illegal to put things in a mailbox unless you are an official postal worker. Felony.

19. mole

mole Senior Member

we all know this but it is still done.

20. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

its a tax rightoff so it does not bother me at all. and on top of that i raised my prices. your good cliant base will stay with you as long as the service does't slip.they will pay what ever.