1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas air compressor help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by terrapro, Sep 18, 2009.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I picked up a gas compressor for barely a song and dance. It is an older one but very nice in my opinion. Brand name is Rol-Air I think, the stickers are coming off. I have blown up enough oilless compressors to know that the next one I wanted uses oil.

What I am wondering is I know how to check the oil on the motor but the pump I do not know and I DO NOT want to blow the pump on this thing. Is it suppose to be full to the top or just full to the top of the middle plug. :confused:

What kind of oil is good for these? I bought some compressor oil today and was thinking to myself "I don't know what I am doing".

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely want to use compressor oil, so that was smart. Compressors are all a little different. Some have a base with a drain plug sitting sideways, and fill plug that screws into the "top" of the base. My Makita has a sight glass. Can you post a pic?

And we will also need video of the dance before any further advice is given:D

Oil-less compressors never last, good move.

3. terrapro

from MI

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That link is not working. Yahoo mail?

5. terrapro

from MI

Yes sorry I will get something better in the morning.

6. terrapro

from MI

I don't know what I was thinking last night with that first pic! I guess I forgot how to post pics.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Here's what a random manual I pulled from their website says about it

LUBRICATION
    Prior to each use, make a habit of checking the pump oil level. Most direct drive air compressors have a dipstick with casting marks that indicate the minimum and maximum acceptable levels of oil. Our belt-driven pumps have a sight gauge, located on the outside of the crankcase, to make the task even easier. Always maintain the oil level at the maximum mark on the dipstick or to 2/3 full in the sight gauge Do not operate the pump with an inadequate or excessive amount of oil. The cost of failures which occur due to incorrect oil levels will not be covered under warranty.
    DO NOT USE A DETERGENT OIL!

8. terrapro

from MI

Thanks for looking that up but unfortunately there is no dipstick or sight gauge.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, the drain plug is obvious. What is that black circle at about 2:30 from the drain plug? I'm guessing that's your fill port.

Wait a minute, where the video of you dancing?

10. terrapro

from MI

Here is a better pic

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm still waiting for the video:jester:

The black bolt is your fill plug.

12. terrapro

from MI

So fill it like a differential? Until it drips out of the hole? I think the black thing on top of the pump was a dipstick but is now broke.

I am trying to post the vid...

13. terrapro

from MI

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, till it runs out. The black thing is the vent.

Nice moves:redbounce

15. terrapro

from MI

So after filling it with a quart of oil yesterday I drained it from the large black plug and ended up with a full bottle of compressor oil....darn, no need for more oil.

So I guess it is good to go. I am thrilled as I have a 25gal tank from a blown compressor I will link to this as one for a holding tank to keep air in 24/7. Painting and fluid filming will be a breeze now that I have stored air.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That will be a nice setup. And those gas engine compressors usually put out great CFMs. Just the noise that kills me. Just put it as far away as you can, and run the hose in the shop to the big tank.

17. terrapro

from MI

Thanks A ton 2cor, the noise doesn't bother me anymore than those oiless electric compressors. It pumps up about 3 times faster than the electric ones I had before. :D

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Glad I could help. That should last a long time. Don't forget to change the oil in the engine too. I use full synthetic now in my small engines. Wouldn't hurt to pull the bowl off the carb in case there's any water in it. And a new plug. And don't forget to use some Marine Formula Stabil to keep this crap ethanol blend from blowing a hole in the piston. Never had a Kawasaki small engine, but I can tell you won't have to worry about the recoil spring LOL

Oh yeah, I think a new gas engine portable compressor is pushing $800. You don't feel so silly dancing now, do yah?

19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

The dancing video was a little ?????? I would rather watch paint dry ....