1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Gas 5.9L Towing Capacity and Fuel Mileage?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Aug 13, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm possibly looking for a second truck. I love the look of the 2000ish Dodge Ram 2500 single cab longbeds. I've been looking for a diesel but they are hard to find! How is the 5.9L gas engine? What is the fuel mileage and towing capacity? Thanks guys!wesport

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

ummmm it does decient, depends on the rear end gears, if you get one with the 3:55's it will do decient, if you find one with 4:10's its much better, i searched for a while to find mine, i wanted a 5-speed and tok me a while to find one.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Regular cab 4+4 long box towing capacity,
    2500, gvwr8800, 5.9, Auto, Axel Ratio (all), gcwr 14,000, max trailer Wt. 8,400

millage 12 to 15 mpg with both of my trucks5.9 Aoto's, 4+4 long box & a short box,Quad cab, both have 4:10 rear ends

4. THEGOLDPRO

dont expect to be towing that 8,400 pounds with ease tho, lol maybe if you live in an area with no hills what so ever. esp if your truck has the 3:55 gears.truck just doesnt have the power.

5. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

With my old 2001 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.9L I got 6-10mpg plowing. Usually on the lower end of that spectrum too....:rolleyes: Plenty of power though!

7. THEGOLDPRO

8. DeereFarmer

The mileage doesn't really concern me, I'm looking at a truck, so I know what I'm in for. The 8400 lbs. won't work. I need something a bit heftier than than. Oh well, I guess I'm going to have to hold out for a diesel!

9. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

go find one that nice 4 the money

10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

first time out, is your ford having problems towing that much weight or what???

11. THEGOLDPRO

if your looking for something more powerful then your v10 ford your looking in the wrong place with the dodge gasser, lol unless you find a 2500 with the v-10 makes like 400 somethig tq

12. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

97dodge3500 is selling a 97 3500 reg cab dually cummins with a V and spreader for $10.8 obo in the for sale section. You said mileage doesnt concern you so I didnt go crazy in reading it but you may want to take a look at it.

13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I know I put that 5.9L 360 to the test a few times and it never had problems. Sucks fuel but plenty of power!

14. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

Not sure if you're still looking but I am selling my 2000 2500 4x4 with a 360. Around town it gets about 12, highway it gets about 14. It has power everything and 285 tires on it. It's got 137K on it but runs and drives like a champ. I'm in IL though and I noticed its a bit of a drive. I have an 8 ft hiniker for it also. I'm asking 7 for the truck, but I'm flexible.
    Thanks
    Bill

15. DeereFarmer

No, my Ford tows it like a dream. I love this truck. I'm either looking to sell this truck and buy something else or buy a second truck. I drive about 60 miles a day, so a diesel would help with the gas prices slightly. I'm basically just looking for something a little smaller (regular cab long bed). My truck is just too long lol. I don't know, just might be looking for seomthing different. Maybe a cheaper truck and a nice communter car.

16. DeereFarmer

Now what about the Hemi? Would that do any better than the 5.9 as far as towing capacity?